Chapter 9

On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me

"I have a terrible headache," Nayeon groans, running her fingers through her short silky hair.

"Do you want a massage?" Chaeyoung tilts her head, batting her eyelashes at the older girl.

Jeongyeon scowls, looking between the two girls. "What's a massage?"

Jihyo, the ever-helpful and ever-knowledgeable leader, pats the taller girl and tells her with a smile, "If something hurts in our body, we use our hands to apply pressure and make the pain go away."

Jeongyeon gives her a precious innocent grin that makes Jihyo's heart melt a little.

Nayeon gives her a look that says not to fall for it.

Jihyo shakes her head, "She's an angel, a misunderstood one."

Mina walks out of the kitchen after helping herself to some chicken soup Nayeon has made for lunch—a special French recipe, the older girl has said, eyes twinkling and expectant as she waits for her approval.

She tries not to wince as she takes a spoonful; the soup, if it can be called that, is thick, gooey, bitter, and tastes horrible.

"It's delicious," she lies, forcing the liquid down her throat.

It's not often Mina is rendered speechless, but the twinkle in Nayeon's eyes becomes prominent as a result of her words, and she takes a moment or two to collect herself as she lets the older girl's smile send a surge of affection rushing through her chest.

A few minutes later, Momo carries a pan of soup from the kitchen to the playroom.

"Where are you taking it, love?" Sana asks the girl, eyeing her curiously. "It's hot; be careful."

"Why is the glue so hot, mommy?" Momo asks innocently.

Nayeon's face falls as she turns to look at Mina with a pout.

Mina giggles despite herself.

Chaeyoung goes to the kitchen to make some tea for herself just as Mina turns around the corner.

She doesn't notice the Japanese girl and bumps into her.

Mina holds a hand to her chest where Chaeyoung's elbow connected. "Ouch," she mutters when it hurts to the touch.

Jeongyeon's eyes light up.

Nayeon's eyes widen.

"Jeongyeon gives mommy a majjaje."

Everyone in the room watches with bated breath as Nayeon scrambles to her feet with a loud, "Jeongyeon, noooo."

It happens as if in slow motion.

Mina freezes.

Jeongyeon runs to her with arms outstretched, eyes gleaming and narrowing at the younger girl's heaving chest.

This reminds Dahyun of the scene from Madagascar where Alex is about to pounce on Marty's butt.

Just before Jeongyeon can reach Mina, Nayeon slides between the two of them and stops Jeongyeon with a hand on her shoulder, saying, "I'll look after mommy."

Jeongyeon growls but relents. "Okay."

Mina lets out a breath of relief.

"Mama is going to majjaje mommy's boobs." Jeongyeon hollers.

Jihyo retracts the sentiment about Jeongyeon being an angel.

Mina flushes brightly.

Nayeon grits her teeth.

Dahyun suppresses a snort.

Tzuyu scribbles everything down on her notepad.

Chaeyoung muffles a laugh behind her hand.

Momo plays with the glue-soup, unbothered by the commotion.

Sana leans into Jihyo and whispers in her ear, "Darling, I think my chest hurts too."

Jihyo chokes on the water she's drinking, turning ten different shades of red.

Tzuyu notes it down too.

"Mrs. Park, you have a session this evening."

"Why?" Jihyo frowns.

"It looks like you have an intimacy problem with your spouse," Tzuyu drawls.

Nayeon gives Jihyo a mocking grin that infuriates the leader further.

Jihyo grabs onto Sana's wrist, pulling her into the room and shutting the door with a strong, noisy slam. She's annoyed with the counselor always watching her, and Nayeon grinning at her like she's not doing her role properly.

She's going to show them who a leader is, she decides as she shoves Sana against the door.

"Poobear what are you doing?" Sana stutters, uncharacteristically of vherself as Jihyo takes a step towards her, pinning her to the wooden door.

"Having pretend sex." Jihyo breathes into her ear.