7) The messenger of Inari

【稲荷の使者】

"Jin..."

"Where are you, Jin?"

The raspy voice was getting louder. He got up and hesitantly opened the barn door. Cold air flooded the space around him, snow flakes hitting his feverish face, melting almost instantly.

The man on the ground was slowly pulling himself closer, heavy armor making his movements difficult. A bright streak of red was left in the snow behind him.

The boy was too scared to move. It was as if the god of snow, Kuraokami himself, froze him to the spot. He watched the man inch forward until he reached the door, pulling himself up a little. He then grabbed the boy's ankle and looked up at him. Wearing a mask and a helmet, his eyes were the only feature visible on his face. There was fear in them. Desperation.

"Jin,...why won't you help me?"

A little stream of blood started to pour out of the corner of the mask's mouth, soaking the strands of cord supporting the heavy helmet. The boy couldn't bear to look anymore and closed his eyes, but the man's grip was becoming stronger. It was starting to sting and burn, and soon his whole leg felt like it was on fire.

The boy waited for someone to help, anybody, but no one was coming. He was alone. Collecting all the courage left in him, he opened his eyes...

Jin blinked himself awake. He didn't move or make a sound; he only stared at the ceiling above while his mind was letting go of the last pieces of the dream.

After a few moments he looked down at his feet and found Yasunari tightly hugging his left leg.

That explains the dream.

He must have rolled in his sleep and somehow ended up close to where Jin was laying. He watched Yasunari's calm face for a while, envious of whatever peaceful dream he was having, then carefully wiggled his leg out of the grip, making sure not to wake him. He stood up and looked around the rest of the tent.

Shigesato was laying closer to the table, and on the other side of it Ryuzo was sleeping on his back. His legs were still crossed under the table, hinting at the fact that after their conversation ended he just laid back and fell asleep right there.

Jin picked up the blanket he was using and covered Yasunari, and without any more delay stepped out into the cold night.

~~~

It was going to be another chilly day. The clouds were rolling in, threatening to bring a very early snow for the season. The trees in Omi were now dropping the last of the leaves, getting ready for the tough winter ahead.

Rin's days were being mashed into one another with the amount of work she had. Hunting took most of her time, as she now had to travel further away from the village. The animals seemed to have learnt what she was up to and stayed away from the valley, so sometimes she had to go as far as the Old Toyotama hills.

She often used one of the horses from Omi stables, since she didn't have one of her own. For the most part she didn't need one; work orders were usually delivered by messengers and they would stay in the village until Rin and Yukihiro finished the job, then took the goods back with them. And if she was required at one of the clan meetings, which was very rare, her father would bring an extra horse with him.

For the past few years Yashamaru let her borrow a beautiful black horse, Koyami, and they grew accustomed to each other. She was a small horse compared to others, but beside carrying riders she was also used to heavier loads, be it firewood or harvested vegetables.