Chapter One - Mathematics

Blood coated the floor, the walls, the furniture. The wood flooring was marred with the claw marks of a beast. There were even streaks of scarlet from where the victims had been dragged to their final destination.

No one could have survived this. Even the most capable person would have been struck down and drowned in their own blood — if the monster's teeth didn't tear them to pieces first.

If only he could have been there. If only he had checked on his best friend sooner. Tears streaked his bronze skin as he clutched at his chest, trying, gasping for air.

He couldn't help the strangled cry that escaped his throat. She was gone and it was all his fault.

Something had been on her mind for a while, shaking up her insides and scattering her sanity. Why hadn't he been a better listener? Why hadn't he noticed the miniscule details that separated this new version of his friend from the person she was weeks before?

His legs collapsed beneath him and his hands were met with the sticky crimson liquid. The lifeblood of his friend and her family.

How could someone do this? Why would anyone go after one of the kindest people on the planet?

Even though the breath had left his lungs, he didn't care. In fact, he no longer deserved to breathe — This was his fault.

It was his fault she was dead and he would have to live with that for the rest of his life.

He would have to live with the knowledge that the one he loved was dead because of him.

The air was hot and humid and the song of cicadas rang as loud as ever.

"You're just overthinking it, Toby. See, all you have to do is plug in the equation you already have."

A student at D. W. Daniel High School in South Carolina, Toby was nearing the end of his senior year (graduating Class of 1981!). He should have been done with math but it was not exactly his strong suit — he had failed Algebra II last year.

That's why Toby was sitting outside on his porch with Gwendolyn Torsney, the smartest, sweetest, and most beautiful girl he had ever known. Or at least needing help with homework was his excuse to hang out today.

"It might be easy for you, but you already know that it's practically rocket science to me," said Toby as he buried his face into his hands.

Gwendolyn let out a small laugh while shaking her head. Toby risked a glance at his friend. Gwen's copper hair had fallen across her sun-kissed face and her mouth ws upturned into a soft smile. This is what Toby had fallen in love with. Gwen's beauty and her smile for sure, but it was the kind soul she carried with her that left Toby awestruck.

Unfortunately, the feelings he had for her did not go both ways.

For Gwen, they were just friends.

Had been for years.

Ever since fifth grade when Toby sat next to that little girl with a braid running down her back and a butterfly on her fingertips. No one wanted to befriend the girl who befriended the bugs.

No one but Toby.

He loved how fascinated she was with the creatures of nature. Though her knowledge in Biology was exactly what would get her into Stanford or MIT.

A place Toby couldn't hope to follow.

"I've told you before and I'll tell you again: it's no big deal if math isn't your thing," Toby raised an eyebrow at her. "You are perfectly wonderful at many other things, Toby!"

"Singing and playing the guitar isn't going to get me anywhere, Gwen. You know that," he sighed, glancing down at the other love of his life: his trusty guitar.

"What I know," she said resting a hand on Toby's shoulder, "Is that you are the greatest musician I've ever met." He wished that he could share in her enthusiasm, but Toby didn't have as much faith in his talent as Gwen did.

"Hmm, maybe." Toby couldn't help making a face.

But Gwendolyn didn't see it because at that moment she glanced down at her watch. Her eyes widened at the time.

"Sorry, Toby, but I have to go. Andrew got the new Atari 2600 for his birthday a couple days ago and I promised to take turns playing Space Invaders with him today!" Andrew was Gwen's little brother. To Toby he was a little pain in the butt most of the time, but if Gwen loved him then Toby could tolerate him.

"But how am I supposed to pass my math test tomorrow without your help?" Toby winked and she rolled her eyes.

"I guess you will just have to try this thing called 'studying.'" Gwen made air quotes with her fingers. "It really does work. Promise."

"Doesn't sound all that fun if I'm being honest."

She grabbed her backpack off the ground, the pink color contrasting her green and white flowery dress. "Too bad," she laughed. "But really, I do have to go, Toby."

"Alright," he sighed. "Tell your brother I say hi." She nodded and made her way down the short path to the main road. He watched as she left, wanting so badly to run after Gwen and tell her not to go and about how amazing of a person she is and how he feels about her...

But he didn't.

He couldn't.

Toby didn't want to ruin their friendship.

So instead he plucked his guitar off the ground and sung the song he had written for Gwen years ago but never had the courage to actually sing to her.