Chapter 3: The Roses that Strangled the Stones

Too soon for me to even process what was about to happen to me, we were leaving our cottage and boarding trains like railways would never end.

    I spent most of the train voyage staring out into the green and empty fields which was the vast majority of Scotland. I obviously was eager to see Blannard, but at the same time I hope our train trips would never end.

    Obviously I had to inform my friends of what was going to happen, and what I hated my parents the most for was not letting me say a proper goodbye. I typed and deleted, typed and deleted, struggling to find the words to express that I would probably not see Virginia for at least a year.

    Roselyn was the first of my friends to answer and she immediately facetimed me sobbing in tears.

    "Laide they can't do this to you, you can run away, uh you can come, come and live with me, no Laide they can't do this, they fucking can't"

    I began to feel that familiar pain in my stomach but I knew I had to be strong and not show how much this was impacting me.

    "Roselyn, I know that this is going to be unimaginable but can you please promise me you won't forget me" I say slowly

"Laide how could I ever forget you. You, you are unforgettable, I mean I don't know how I would have survived highschool without you, I.." She breaks into even more tears

"When my parents split up, I felt as if you were the only person I could talk to, who would understand the pain I felt, and wouldn't treat me as if I would break. You molded me into a person who is not easily fractured, who can stand tall against hate and never shed a tear"  Roselyn said

    "Wow I feel like you are professing your love to me, Rose" I add

"I mean it Laide, god I don't know what I'll fucking do, I'm going to have to face all this bullshit alone, all all of, I can't" Roselyn finally adds.

    "I think it is best we end our conversation here, Roselyn. We can't change what is going to happen so we are better of not making it harder than it already is" I adds unexpectedly.

    I know people are often profoundly disturbed by my manner of ending things. I have learned that in life you simply cannot get too attached to things, because with the strike of a bell they could be gone. When my father stopped being my refuge, I couldn't stand that he was gone. I often feel as if I miss him more than my mother. Then when my pet Rabbit died, I suffered a great loss and was in bed for days.

    I couldn't bear to suffer any more pain because for a seventeen year old girl, I had suffered enough. So I simply stopped attaching myself to things, or mostly people.

    So the next year when my cat unexpectedly got a virus and passed away, I did not let the sadness consume me. I barely shed a tear, and the next day I had moved on.

    I don't have many friends at school, or should I say had. Roselyn was the exception because she got me, and she understood my nature and was not offended by it.
Most people at my school were in a sense frightened of me because I was distant and did not show much affection. I always admired the bubbly girls who would laugh at everything and smile even in the worst situations. That was not me. I did not laugh uncontrollably or smile at people in the hallway. I liked confining myself to my own world, and shutting the rest out.
I guess that may have been one of the reasons why my "parents" decided to send me to boarding school. The people at school would be all I would have. I would be forced in a way to open up to others.
——————————————————————————-
The train slowed down and the speaker rung like an agonizing doorbell that would never end. Rachael tugged on my shoulder and motioned for me to grab my suitcases. I blankly stared back at her and rummaged around for my stuff.

My dad looked at me with sad yet loving eyes. I could tell he felt bad for me. I could tell he was hurting.
We proceeded to make our ways to the exit of the train and I looked back, saying a quiet prayer for the life I would leave behind.
This was not actually happening. It couldn't actually be happening.