chapter thirty-three

"He's pinched for sure, man," JJ sighs, staring out the window at The Wreck

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." Pope contradicts.

"You know, we were in that car..." Kie suggests.

"Which means they're looking for us, too." Lio huffs, "And now I'm running and hiding from DCS and the coppers."

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B," Pope says, walking over to grab the keys.

"So, find em before they do?" JJ kind of asks, but Pope ignores him. "Pope?"

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat."

"Hey, y-you be careful," Kie says. "Okay?"

Pope just stares blankly at her, then directs his attention to JJ and Lio, "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

JJ looks at Kie, but before he could say anything, she had removed herself from her seat.

"Okay, what is your problem?" She asks, storming outside.

"No problem, Officer. I'm just doing my job."

"Oh cheese on bread, here we go..." Lioana rolls her eyes, leaning her head on JJ's shoulder.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings." Kie's voice is drowned out by the revving bike.

"What was that?" Pope mocks.

"Look, I didn't mean to!"

"Sorry, I can't hear you. What was that?"

"Pope, I'm being serious." Kie yells, "I'm trying to talk to you!"

Before she could finish her sentence, Pope had taken off on the bike.

JJ and Lio stand outside, leaning on the railing in front of them. Kiara starts walking back towards them, but all three of their attention was brought to a helicopter flying above them.

"Who the hell is that?" JJ asks.

"SBI..." Lio mutters.

☾☾☾☾☾

After Pope ran off to get gas for the boat, Lioana ran home to grab a few keepsakes for JB. JJ and Kiara stayed back at The Wreck to pack some food.