29| Sent To Voicemail

"Lemme see! Lemme see!"

I came out of the fitting room with a smile. Abby and I had been shopping for hours trying to look for the perfect dress to wear on my date tonight with Elliot. I've tried on dress after dress and still no winner. Maybe this black cocktail dress with a slit up to my thigh with work. 

"What do you think?" 

I did a little spin for Abby. 

"Hmm." She studied the dress and tapped her chin. "I like the style."

"But?"

"But the color is wrong."

I frowned and looked down at the dress. "The color? It's black! Black goes with everything." 

Abby chuckled and walked over to the rack where she found the dress. "True, but knowing Elliot, I think—Aha! Try this one." 

She handed me dark blue version of the same dress. "It'll bring out your eyes. And Elliot's favorite color is blue. Try it on." 

I took the dress back into the fitting room and started taking off the black one. 

"Aren't you going to ask if he said yes to the date?" I asked Abby through the door. 

"Honey, I've seen the way that man looks at you. He wouldn't say no under any circumstances."

That made me smile. I knew the look she was referring to. Even if I wasn't looking at him, I could feel his eyes on me. It didn't matter what I was doing. Cleaning. Sitting on the couch. Talking to Abby. It would happen out of nowhere. I would suddenly get a shiver down my spine and, sure enough, he was looking at me with lust in his eyes. 

He loved me and I loved him.

Something changed last night between us. When we went back to the cabin and had sex, it felt more intimate than it has before. Even though it was impossible, it felt like we were one person. It was as if I could feel what he felt. My love poured into him and his into me. I've never felt anything like it—and I knew I would never feel that with anyone else. 

"Did you get the blue one on?" 

I chuckled at her. Abby was a little too excited about helping me get ready for my date. But I had to admit, I loved that woman. In the very short time I've known her, she's become a great friend. And she knew me as Stella Amhearst. Not Stella Reed. Apparently Elliot had confided in her about what happened between us. Yes, I had friends in New York, but they had no idea who I really was. That on top of everything else made me feel uneasy. 

"What do you think?" 

I walked out of the fitting room and did another spin. 

"That's it! That's the dress!" She clapped her hands together. "I love it. Do you have heels to match?" 

I nodded. 

"Good. Now, what are you going to do with your hair?" 

I felt a blush color my cheeks. "Elliot likes it down. He said he loves the way it feels." 

And I loved how it felt when he ran his fingers through it. Or when he fisted his hand in it to kiss me deep. 

"Well, damn," Abby quipped. "Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?" 

I shook my head. "You are too much. So we are going with this dress?"

"Absolutely. He's going to love it. Now you just need one more thing..."

I took a step towards her. "Abby, I appreciate it, but I think I have everything I need. I have the dress, the shoes, and makeup."

"Perfume?"