Chapter 6: Take A Step With Me

I flipped the page of my manga, my eyes following the speech bubbles but my mind wasn't processing it because it was stuck on the girl walking to and fro past me. She was dressed for an outing and currently bustling around the house to keep up with that outing.

"I'm off." Finally, she said.

I didn't say anything back which caused her to stop and turn to me. After letting out a deep sigh she said, "I won't be back until later this evening, I've already told Mom and Dad. There's food in the fridge or you can make something for yourself."

I scoffed under my breath. What did she think I was, a child? I am very capable of taking care of myself.

When I continued to ignore her, she sighed again before turning around and leaving. Immediately I heard the door slam shut, I dropped the manga in my hand and ran  my hands through my bangs.

Misumi and I weren't on speaking terms after the words she threw at me the other day. I became indignant at the thought of her words and I couldn't bring myself to forget about it. So I chose to stop speaking to her, as childish as it seemed, it helped me calm down and process things. I think understood why she said those things but that didn't mean I forgave her, not at all.  Not unless she took it back.

I sighed in boredom, I was the only one left at home. Sometimes, I really hated not being able to go anywhere. I hated the feeling of loneliness that creeped up on me, reaching it claws out and taking hold of my heart, it consumed my mind that the only thing I could thing about were dangerous thoughts. I curled up into a ball, ready to drown in the sorrow of my thoughts when my phone rang, pulling me out if my trance.

I sat up, my hand reached for my phone and placed it on my ear without checking who it was because I already knew. This was the first time he would call me, I couldn't help my curiosity and excitement.

"Hey." I said softly, trying to hide the excitement behind my voice.

"Hi. How are you doing?" So formal, it made me smile.

"I'm...good. and you?" I said back.

"Good. Are you home right now?"

"Um yeah. What's up, you coming to pay me a visit?" I asked. A teasing tone lavedy voice.

"Yeah, I'm actually at your doorstep."

Wait. What? I ran to the front door, took a deep breath before turning the doorknob and opening the door slightly. Lo and behold, a uniform wearing Takashi stood on the other side with a beaming smile on his face.

I shut the door immediately, running my hand through my hair and clothes to make sure I didn't look like a mess. I opened the door again, this time to let him in.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed, confusion bloomed on my face.

He beamed, strutting in like he owned the place. "I came to see you."

"What about school? Aren't you worried." I said, following behind him as he walked into the living room.

"Nope, I already took care of it." He looked around the living room, spotting the bag of cheese balls I had left lying on the table, the big bottle of cola beside it and my laptop which layed open with an episode of demon slayer playing on the screen.

Crap, I forgot to clean up. I wished the ground would open up and swallow me whole right now. He was going to find out that I was a neet, a weird shut in otaku. I didn't want him to know that.

I shut my eyes tightly as he turned to get a better look at the screen. I waited to hear the disgust in his voice when he figured out what I was.

"You watch anime?" He asked casually.