Chapter 24

Everyone loves a weekend, especially Yuki, but I like to let it slip by. Sleep was what I liked doing on the weekend and sometimes Ame would join me. But today we were heading into town to get some things before the new school year started and Yuki just couldn't wait, "WAKE UP!"

"Five more minutes," I say unknowingly clutching Ame closer to me.

"Either you wake up or I'm telling Mom the two of you are making out."

I jumped out of bed and tackled Yuki to the ground. Yuki pushed me off and I went back to sleep. You'd think Yuki would stop there but no, she decided to start kicking me. I got up off the floor and told Yuki to get out so I could get changed.

Breakfast was eggs on toast. Yuki got me to refresh her on things from last year. Hana was ready to go and Ame was just sitting there. We left and went to town.

Hana was walking around the store with us grabbing supplies for us all and adding them to the cart. We wandered for a bit when we walked past the girls' clothes department. I stopped and looked at some of the clothes when Ame, who had been zoned out, grabbed my collar and pulled me with the group. "What was that?" He asked.

"They looked nice."

"I think those girl friends of yours are starting to influence you."

We kept walking when we went back past the section. Beside it was the boys' section and Hana said I could get a new outfit. I went into the boy's section and grabbed a pair of jeans. I then went and got the pink shirt I eyed earlier. Hana gave me a weird look and said, "Are you sure that's the outfit you want?"

"Yes!"

She shrugged and added it to the cart before heading to checkout. We got home and I tried it on. I walked out with it on and got mixed reactions. Yuki loved it, Ame hated it, and Hana was in the middle.

"I was happy having a brother," Ame said quietly to me in the car headed home.

"I am your brother. I just happen to like some girly things."

"But that makes you a girl," He said sulking.

"If that's how you define it, then Yuki was once a boy," I say punching his shoulder.

"She's never been a boy!" Ame shouted alerting everyone in the car.

"What's going on back there?" Hana asked.

"I don't like how Kota is becoming a girl and want him to stay a boy."

"I'm not becoming a girl!" I shout

"Ame, some boys like doing girly things and are still boys. What you do and wear doesn't decide that," Hana says.

"It's my fault," Yuki said.

"You did nothing. It's just a personal choice and I ask you to respect it."

We arrive home and I head for my room. Looking back, was it a mistake to get this shirt? I slipped my shirt off and slid the new one in its place. It was a nice shirt. I looked good in it.

Ame was at the cave and I had to talk to him. How do I prove that I'm still a boy? "Why do you dislike the idea of me becoming a girl?" I ask connecting to his mind.

"You will become like Yuki and never play with me."

I walked around the corner and entered the cave, my hair the same shade of pink as my shirt. "Just because I like pink doesn't mean I'm becoming or are a girl. You used to be scared of anything that moved and that's girl-like."

"It's different," Ame said trying not to make eye contact.

"Unlike Yuki, I'm not scared of Doin things my way. She's gotten this picture of what a girl should be and moulded herself in."

Ame shuffles over as if offering me a seat, which I accept.