Chapter 52: Crying on the Inside

Maul's being taken to the prison block on our Star Cruiser. There, he will stay until we reach Coruscant.

If we reach Coruscant.

The tech clones salute Ahsoka, Rex and I as we walk into the bridge of the Cruiser. The tree of us stand at the window and watch as the ship jumps into hyperspace.

"Something on your mind?" Rex asks Ahsoka. Come to think of it, she has been acting a little strange since the meeting with the Council.

"As a Jedi, we were trained to be keepers of the peace, not soldiers," she starts. I know where she's going with this. I feel it too. "But all I've been since I was a Padawan is a soldier."

"Well," Rex starts. I turn to face him. "I've known I other way. Gives us clones all a mixed feeling about the war. Many people wish it never happened. But without it, we clones wouldn't exist."

He's right. Without this war, my friends, my family, even my life; wouldn't exist. And even though I may or may not ever know why I was brought to this time or it's all fake and I'm just being shown what is happening, I'm glad.

I'm glad that I get to learn first hand what happened in such a galaxy-wide turning point. I'm glad that I met the people I did. I'm glad that they've learned to trust me as I have them.

And I'm glad this war exists.

Though there are many downfalls from this war, one being the Empire, something that could begin any second, along with trillions of deaths and casualties. I'm glad this war happened.

It sounds really strange, but if you stop and think about it; there are some good things that come out of war.

"Well, then perhaps some good has come from all of it," I smile at Rex.

"I agree. The Republic couldn't have asked for better soldiers, nor I a better friend," Ahsoka adds. Ahsoka salutes Rex and I, making me chuckle and copy her actions.

The door opens behind Rex and a tech clone walks up to us.

"Commander Rex, the latest briefing has come in," he says.

"Want to have a look? It might have an update on General Kenobi's efforts," Rex asks us. I shake my head, not wanting to sit through another meeting.

"You go. I'm sure it's more good news," Ahsoka says. Rex nods and heads out the door of the bridge. Ahsoka and I turn back to the window. "You seem troubled. What is it?"

I take a deep breath. "If I told you, you wouldn't believe me," I tell her. She grabs my hand like she has so many a time before.

"Go for it."

"Alright then," I breathe out. I go to open my mouth again to tell her but she stumbles back grabbing her head. "Ahsoka?"

I grab her shoulders as she grabs her head in pain. Almost exactly like I did that time on Onderon, and in the Chancellor's office.

"Execute Order 66," A voice rings out in my head. I shake it away. Ahsoka's in pain and now is not the time for voices in my head to speak to me.

"Anakin?" Ahsoka whispers. She maintains her balance.

"Ahsoka, what's wrong?" I ask her.

"We need to get Rex. It's Anakin. I think something terrible has happened."

Oh no, it's starting.

We both run to the door Rex just went out of and see him standing at a holotable.