Chapter 8 - Lonely

Darting around the house, Sara and Simon were avoiding each other rich kids' daddy's and their taxes. Simon told his mum what was going on, leaving out that Sara apparently had a crush on August now. She understood, but desperately wanted them to make up. She hated delivering their food to their rooms, like piggy in the middle.

In an attempt to avoid being around Sara, he invited himself round to Ayub's house, Rosh  also keen to get out of the house. Since they were kids, they enjoyed getting each other gifts, and having a mini-Christmas a few days after the festivities had always cheered them all up from being stuck inside for days at a time. 

"Simon, how's your mum and Sara?" Ayub had been like a brother to Simon since they were little, and always got along with his mum and Sara like his own family.

"They're fine.", Simon responded bluntly. He didn't want to think of Sara any more than he already had been, spiralling about how she could keep that August leaked the video from him.

Sensing a change of subject was needed, Ayub continued, "You heard from Wille?"

Simon considered whether to tell them of the text they exchanged on Christmas. He had always been honest with his friends, but he knew what their reaction would be. Knowing it was the best thing to do, Simon retrieved his phone from his pocket, unlocking it, and showing the few short words they exchanged on Chirstmas day evening. Both Rosh and Ayub looked disappointed.

"You shouldn't have responded, Simon." He knew Rosh was right, but it was too late to take that back now.

"Yeah I know. I'm just worried for him."

"What, in that big palace of his? I'm sure he's quite alright." Everyone seemed to only see Wille as a prince. Ayub was no different. Simon had a hard time seeing it for himself while he was with Wille, but now thinking about him in the palace, it seemed mad to not notice the vast differences between them. Wille wanted nothing more than to be like Simon, and he never fully understood why.

"I think he's pretty lonely. He doesn't really get on with his family." Simon thought of August. He felt guilty for not saying anything to Wille, but couldn't bring himself to text him.

"Is Sara still applying to live at Hillerska?"

"Yeah, though she's apparently been getting help with that." Both Ayub and Rosh looked at him confused, leaving space for him to elaborate. "So... You remember August, the guy who owed me money?" 

"How could be forget?" Rosh replied, smiling.

 "Well, he's Wille's cousin. And, turns out, Sara has been talking to him."

"Talking?"

"Well, talking, blackmailing."

"What? Blackmailing about what?"

Simon couldn't bring himself to say it. The thought made him feel lightheaded. "She saw him on a school computer. On Saint Lucia night. " Pause. He saw both Rosh and Ayub looking confused, before Ayub's face changed.

"What?" Rosh asked.

"August uploaded the video. Sara saw everything. She didn't tell me."

"Oh..." They both said, looking at each other. 

"Look, can we talk about something else now? Please." Simon was just exhausted. The stress of dodging his family while also trying to keep his thoughts away from Wille was all coming togehter. He hated that all of this had happened. How could he let this happen. He loved Sara. He didn't want to ignore her, but he didn't know what else to do.

The night rolled on, until it was finally time for Rosh to give Simon a ride home. 

When they pulled up onto the drive, Rosh removed her helmet, and Simon dismounted the bike.

"You need to let all this go, Simon. For your own sake, don't let Wille or your family control you like this." 

Simon said nothing, but nodded. Rosh smiled at him, put on her helmet again, and drove off. He watched her leave before turning to go inside. He didn't hear Sara open the door to greet him.

"Sara, what are you still doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep." She looked at him as he approached. "Look Simon, I am sorry for not telling you. I was confused. But August has really helped with the application. He isn't as bad you think."

"Sara, it's fine. I am glad you're happy." Simon hated what he was saying, but Rosh was right. He needed to get over himself, stop being so isolated and confrontational. He smiled at Sara, who in turn smiled back.

________

Wille was too tired to do much with his days, but his head was too full to sleep. He reread the note over and over, thinking about what he could do, and what he wanted. He wanted to not be a prince, to have met Simon somewhere else, and not have to hide him. He wanted to be able to be with him without the whole country talking about it. But that wasn't possible. He wondered what would happen if he ran away. If he took off to Japan, or Mexico, or New Zealand. Would Simon want to come? Would running even stop people from finding him and criticising them? What would Simon want? A simple life with someone who doesn't have the whole country watching their every move? All that was keeping him going in knowing he would be going back to Hillerska in two days time.

These thoughts circled round and round in his head, never giving him a moment's peace. One afternoon, he heard a knock on the door. A servant spoke; "Crown Prince Wilhelm, the Queen has requested your presence in the winter garden." 

He hummed in acknowledgement, but really had no intention to actually listen. Glancing from where he sat in a large armchair out the window, he could see his mother standing looking out at the water. In that moment, Wille decided to go to see what she wanted. He couldn't stay up there forever. She had read his letter, she knew what he was going to do. Nothing she would say would stop that.

As he arose, he considered what he would tell her. Or would he say a word. He opened his door, continued down the stairs slowly, stoaking the bannister. He had always appreciated the history of the palace, but felt more of a tourist than an inhabitant. That palace never felt like home, more of a prison, or a stage, or both. He reached the old French doors leading out onto the patio, with his mother just beyond. Grabbing the handle and turning it, it cracked open. The sound of the creaking wood of the hinge alerted his mother to his presence, who turned in response. "Wilhelm, good to see you out. Please sit." 

They both approached the white garden table and chairs, taking a chair. Although it was freezing, neither of them cared. That was one of the only traits he inherited from his mother; tolerance to the cold. His father never wanted to be out more than two minutes in the winter. The pair now sat at the table shared indifference.

The Queen sat back in her chair, Wille still staring at her unbothered. "I read that letter. Is that really what you want?"

Wille said nothing, he wasn't going to give the satisfaction. "Look, we can't stop you. But if you do this, you cannot be seen with us anymore. We will still support you financially, pay for your fees. But when you leave Hillerska, that will be it. You have to understand, uts best for everyone."

Silence. Wille diverted his eyes, looking over the rolling hills, how the snow shimmered in the low sunlight. 

"Are you listening Wilhelm? You won't be Crown Prince anymore, I will ask August to fill in where you so are so clearly lacking. We won't be able to protect you."

"Do what you have to do, just let me do what I have to." He reconnected eye contact here, a single tear swelling in his eye. 

As they continued to look at each other, the heavy tear fell down his face. He didn't wipe it away, just let it fall. His mother took a breath, and Wille knew that was it. It was done. Things would never be the same. He stood up from the table, returned to the house and didn't look back.