Creatures of The Night

~ ▬ι═══════ﺤ ~

A tremendous rumble of excitement grew quietly upon my mountainous home of Az'hark.

It was like a living rhythm that nobody could hear, only sensed — from the spaces between their toe-claws to the ripples beneath their sapphire tails. It lingered in the air, like smoke under fire, it's taste warm and fresh against the draconic tongue. And, like the drum roll of a heartbeat, it pulsed inside with the purest of energy.

Although every single day in Ohm was mostly repetitive -- the early rising sun from the east, the sinking of its glory in the west, as were the travels of the moon in the blackened skies -- a few moments during the year were treated as unique. It wasn't uncommon for creatures to frown down upon our sudden joys and happiness before nightfall. In a word, some would consider our prowess meaningless.

Nevertheless, there was a reason we praised this newfound day.

Allow me to explain.

When the first blood moon of the coming spring rises into the heavens, the Day of the Firestar begins. Set in the evening, it was a celebration meant to mark the sacrifice of Kantar The Great, who's mere actions birthed an entire race of dragons.

In other words, to you petty humans, it's our religious -- and quite festive -- version of New Year's Day.

The youth would gather by their mentors, playing around in the meadows below the mountain's shadow, and practicing their hearthstones on small birds and rodents. Elders would regroup in small bands, enjoying the good old times of play and laughter, and share small stories about their lives to the young. In the evening, before the main ceremony, hunters alike would collect their kills of the day, laying them across the bright stone path for the king and queen to examine, as a sort of contest. The winner, chosen by a blessing from Xikori, would be allowed the first bite of the evening, which boasted massive competition.

I felt as if I could win one of those competitions. Then again, I wasn't into those sorts of activities. Nor did I have the time.

As a guard of Az'hark, the same mission applied as any ordinary day: guard the king and queen as they travel about, or (when free) traverse through the mountain's corridors and tunnels to ensure that all are safe, and sound.

Fidget, Castimar, and Aeonian were given the task to watch over the royals during the pre-ceremony events. Four other guards wandered through the western tunnels. That left me and Nayre to wander the eastern region, together.

Frankly I was stumped of this: I didn't know if the setup alone was accidental, given that the two of us were already a pair, as mates.

Then again, perhaps Xikori wanted us to bond under these ties, and enjoy one another's company.

We were silent for majority of the stroll, wandering side by side through the thunderous mountain. Though, it wasn't always this way. At times little dragons world race around our armored legs, yelping and cackling as they sought to tackle one another. Sometimes we'd pass by elders, offering us a piece of warm flesh from their meals to sustain our travels. Storm dragons of young and old would dip their heads to us in respect, calling out our names as if we were heroes under the moonlight. It was fulfilling to say the least, to be respected, and honored, and loved more than you could possibly imagine.

That was home to me. To us. We both knew that.

But as we traveled on into the empty pockets of this shadowed volcano, the silence evolved, gripping our hearts into a tight squeeze. The comfortable felt uncomfortable, and our pacing with one another grew uneven, and sloppy.