VIII - A Heart of Ice

Gerda stopped in front of the cottage. Spring had come and gone while they were in the North Pole, and on the way back they were greeted by warm sunlight.

Bae had come after she had called, and together with Kai, she rode back to the robber's castle. Ieda had joined them in the night, riding a stallion. Kai had told them all the story of the Snow Queen's curse, remembering what the queen had told him when she thought he would forget.

Now, the four of them waited outside the cottage.

"Grandma?" Kai called.

They heard footsteps in the house, and then the door was yanked open and Grandma wrapped her arms around him, crying. Grandma hugged Gerda next before turning to Bae and Ieda.

"Who are they?" she asked, wiping her eyes.

"They are friends who helped me find Kai," Gerda said. "I told them they could stay with us," she added.

"Well, why not? Come in, come in," Grandma ushered them into the house. "I have fresh muffins and pie."

Gerda and Kai turned to each other. Gerda was glad to see that the happy twinkle had returned to his eyes.

She clasped his hand and kissed his cheek. "Last one there gets the smallest muffin!"

They laughed as they ran into the house, grown-up, but still children at heart. And it was summer, warm, glorious summer.