CHAPTER SIX

"do you trust me?"

brooklyn baby;

PHILADELPHIA | 2014
SAFE HOUSE

The next day, I felt the most frustration I'd felt in a while. Trying to help Bucky with his Wakandan was like trying to teach him a whole new language-despite him already being able to speak it.

"Enkosi," I repeated, for what felt like the hundredth time. I sat across from Bucky on the floor, the two of us sharing a tub of ice cream. "You pronounce it like you've never spoke the language before."

"I wasn't exactly taught by a native speaker," Bucky defended himself, taking a bite of ice cream. "Enkosee," he tried saying again.

"No," I laughed. "You're putting too much emphasis on the ending of the word. The click of the 'k' is most important. Enkosi," I explained to him.

"Enkosi," he pronounced correctly, before repeating himself.

I smiled, clapping my hands, "You got it." I went to take a bite of ice cream, and our spoons clinked before he took a scoop, making me laugh. "You know, if you take that bite, it's like you're indirectly kissing me."

Bucky rolled his eyes, "How terrible," he said sarcastically before placing the spoon in his mouth. I gently laughed once more before taking a bite of my own.

"If you weren't taught by a native speaker, who taught you?" I asked.

     He sighed, "Hydra."

"What others do you know?"

"Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian, Latin, Romanian, and Japanese," Bucky listed.

My eyes widened, and I gave him an impressed nod. "You'd be able to run away to quite a few countries."

Bucky gently laughed at that, making me smile. The first time I heard him laugh.

"You should learn them too then," he told me. I tilted my head, giving him a questioning look. "What, you wouldn't want to come with me?"

I laughed, rolling my eyes. "Of course not."

I took one last bite of ice cream, before standing up to put my spoon in the sink. I walked around him, picking up the ice cream, before placing it back in the freezer. "By the way, you-" When I turned around, he was close. Really close. "You should..." he leaned past me, dropping his spoon in the sink before turning back around.