t h r e e

~PRESENT~

Amelia fluffed out the bouncy curls that Sarah had twirled for her, staring at the back of the drivers seat where Rafe was seated. He had insisted that she sat in the front with him, but she knew she better than that.

She pressed her lips together, rubbing them together slightly to make sure her lipstick was still intact and hadn't faded from her mouth. She felt edgy as she shifted in her seat, knowing that the chances of JJ being at the bonfire were very high, and she ran the possible scenarios through her mind of how it was going to go when she saw him. She figured that the best thing that she could do right now was try to avoid any possible interactions with him. She sighed at the thought of how hard that was going to be.

"You okay?" Sarah asked from the passenger seat, picking up on how visibly noticeable Amelia's anxiety was.

Amelia nodded, feeling the lump in her throat forming as Rafe parked the truck amongst the others at the Boneyard. She climbed out of the truck following Rafe and Sarah, and she swallowed, trying to ignore the feeling that she was going to throw up. Sarah grabbed her hand, pulling her down the beach where Amelia saw the same familiar sights that hadn't changed a bit since last summer: dozens of people standing around, talking and drinking. Kegs and red solo cups appeared all over, and the music was playing so loudly that she could barely hear herself think. The usual fire was burning bright, the flames touching the sky. The smell of smoke filled her nostrils, and a wave of euphoria filled her as the memories from last summer came flooding back.

Rafe followed closely behind them, and as they reached a keg, he filled up a cup for Amelia and handed it to her. "Thanks. I need this." She spoke, taking the cup from him and instantly started chugging, watching Rafe disappear into the crowd, positive that he was looking for Topper.

She glanced around the crowd of people, not being able to stop herself as her nerves were still taking over. She knew exactly who she was looking for, praying silently that she wouldn't find him.

Her heart stopped as she felt two hands cover her eyes, everything suddenly going dark. Her breath hitched as she prayed again that it wasn't who she thought it was.

"Miss me?" The voice whispered in her ear. She quickly pulled away and whipped herself around, knowing exactly who the voice belonged to.

"John B!" Amelia let out a squeal, wrapping her arms quickly around his neck as he embraced her in a hug.

"I thought you would have."

As she pulled away from him, her eyes scanned around him, making sure that he was alone. "Looking for someone?" He questioned her, raising his eyebrows with a smirk.

Amelia let out a small sigh. "Is he here?"

John B let out a chuckle. "JJ? Not come to a kegger? That's pretty unheard of." He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her into his body. She had missed him so much. "But don't worry. He's over on the other end of the beach with Kiara. He's almost completely plastered and wanting to catch some night waves."

Amelia rested her head against John B's chest.

"I don't want to see him." Amelia spoke, pulling away from him. John B's eyebrows furrowed at her, and he reached his arm out for Amelia to link hers through. He guided her down to the water, walking along the shoreline just the two of them.

"You really don't want to see him?" Amelia could tell that John B was confused. "I thought you would've been on his doorstep the second you got here."

Amelia sat down in the sand next to John B, pulling off her heels and allowing her feet to soak in the ocean. She leaned over and laid her head down against his shoulder, watching out over the ocean and how the moon reflected its glow against the water. "I'd love to see him. But I hurt him, John B, and I know I did. I don't think he would ever be able to forgive me."