Chapter 6

Grant

"You're a very lucky man, Mr. Young," Dr. Magi emphasizes, repeating the statement for what feels like the hundredth time.

I smile stiffly and mumble, "Thanks." But I sure as hell don't feel lucky. I glance down at my broken body, covered with a loose pair of black net shorts a male nurse was kind enough to gift me, along with a black and white graphic t-shirt. My whole body hurts, half of my limbs are in casts, my bike was totaled, I have no job and no chance of working on bikes anytime soon, my insurance will soon be gone and I'm positive I'm making a huge mistake agreeing to go home with Ella.

"Goodbye, Grant," Dr. Magi adds as she walks out the door. I nod in acknowledgement as I sit on top of the blankets, anxious to get out of this hospital bed and at the same time uneasy. While I wait to be discharged, I can't help but wonder if Ella will actually show up. And if she does, should I go with her? My chest tightens at thoughts of my blonde angel. What the hell did I even agree to? She must either really hate her ex or like trouble because that's all I ever bring to the table. I know why I did it. I didn't like how that asshole spoke to her and I fucking hated how he looked at her, but she's not mine. Maybe I should tell them to change the paperwork right now. Or am I actually going to do this out of jealousy over a woman who can never be mine? I look up, glaring at the doctor in question as he stalks back into my room, and I know without a doubt I will do exactly that.

"Okay, Mr. Young," he begins, grimacing as he grumbles my name. "Dr. Magi already went over everything here," he proclaims, glancing at the tablet in his hands. "One of your nurse's will be in to help move you to the wheelchair from the medical supply company. You already went over the basics for your wheelchair and your crutch with physical therapy?" he verifies, checking off the remainder of his list.

"Yes," I confirm.

"And the nurse will have the notes for your," he pauses, gulping down a lump in his throat. Clearing it, he continues as if the words he's saying are dirty, "Your caretaker."

I grin mischievously and mumble under my breath, just loud enough for him to hear me, "Oh, don't you worry. Ella takes very good care of me."

I watch him grind his jaw, seething. He opens his mouth just as a nurse walks in. I've seen her several times throughout my stay. "Excited to go home, Mr. Young?" she prompts.

My grin grows and I concur, "Yes, I am."

She glances up at Nathan before focusing back on me, her lips twitching up in amusement. "I have another patient I have to go see," he grumbles before stalking out of the room.

"Don't get too cocky," the nurse advises quietly, stepping closer to me. "It's still a long time before you'll heal."

Her words take the wind out of my sail. I shouldn't be getting cocky at all, even though I want to put this asshole in his place. I shouldn't be going with Ella. Maybe she won't show up. That would be a good thing, for her anyway. She doesn't need to deal with taking care of me for the next couple months. "When will the therapist come by for my first session?" I question, needing to push the conversation along.

"They will be by later today. We like to get them into the home with a home care nurse to make sure they assist you and your caretaker to fit your needs and your injury right away. After a few weeks, they will reassess and see if we can move your therapy back to our facility," she repeats the same information they shared with me yesterday.

"Thank you," I mumble feeling bitter.

"Good morning," Ella calls brightly as she walks into the room. I feel my bitterness start to drip away at the sight of her. She looks sexy as hell wearing a white sundress with a tiny blue flower print. Just like the dress she wore yesterday, it's fitted tightly to her curves, with spaghetti straps and flaring at the bottom, hanging about three inches above her knees. Her legs appear long, smooth and lightly tanned down to the same strappy white sandals she wore yesterday. A low groan escapes my lips without my consent as I release my lower lip from between my teeth. My gaze slides back up to her face, her cheeks now a rosy pink as she smiles at me. "Hi," she murmurs shyly.