Breakfast

I woke in the morning to the smell of freshly baked bread. I heard the waves and smelled the sea air as I sat up and stretched. I turned my feet to the floor, hoping the vertigo was gone. I was delighted to find all of my strength had returned.

I stood and stretched again before it dawned on me that I was only wearing my underwear. I thought back to the day before and realized that was all I had on yesterday too.

At least Lily didn't nickname me 'Calvin!'

I looked around and could not find my clothes. I did find a white shirt that seemed about my size. I grabbed it and put it on. It fit me well and seemed loose and comfortable. I found a pair of loose tan pants under the shirt and put them on. They reminded me of Kung Fu pants, really flexible and soft. I loved the feel.

I marveled at the clothes I wore, they were very loose, but also seemed to convey a warmth from them which was unnatural — magical? This was indeed going to be an interesting place if they had clothes like that. And no electricity... but moving fans. It was a strange, wonderous place. I wondered where I was in the world.

I stepped to the window and peered outside. The ocean was maybe twenty meters away, beyond a small thicket of trees. This wasn't a tropical island, the shoreline was rocky, and the trees were evergreen — pines and spruces. I heard voices in the distance, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. The voices were drowned out by the sounds of waves crashing. Birds cried as they soared along the waterline, looking for their own breakfast. The entire landscape was inspiring. The air I breathed was somehow different. I felt energized.

Then I remembered the smell of the bread and I turned to the door to find the source of that delicious scent.

The door opened on a larger room. This chamber was also wooden and rustic. It was furnished with a pair of comfortable arm chairs in front of a stone fireplace and a separate dining table with simpler chairs. A wood burning stove sat in one corner and framed the space I would call the 'kitchen.' A cupboard and sink in the corner completed the space. There were a few ornately decorated iron pieces framing the walls and a wonderful picture of a fairy queen hung over the mantle.

My eyes were drawn to the ornate contraption in the corner next to the fireplace. It looked like a steampunk gyroscope, whirling and turning, gears spinning. At the top of the machine, I saw a wheel and recognized the leather belt I had seen the other day. One end of the belt passed through the wall to the bedroom I had just left. The other end of the belt first fed another similar fan on the ceiling of this room then continued into the kitchen. I realized it disappeared behind the cupboard.

I walked to the cupboard and open it. It was a cooling box! The hum of some archaic machinery was being driven by the ever-moving belt. It seemed alive. But a cool circulation came from a grate at the back where the hum originated.

"Huh, a refrigerator without electricity!"

"You like?" her voice startled me from behind. I turned to see Lily, radiant and smiling, carrying a basket with some fresh berries in it.

I grinned. "It's amazing! Who built it?"

"I did," she snorted. "Just like a man to doubt a woman's ability to take care of herself."

"I'm sorry, Lily. I meant no offense."

"But you assumed! You assumed I was too pretty to build machines like that."

I looked down, "I said I'm sorry."

"Oh my god! You do think I'm pretty."

I caught myself. I stared at her; did she doubt it? I didn't know what to say, so I diverted. "I smell bread and those berries look amazing."