Chapter 4: Declaration of War

Kevin, Maria, and Predator stood on one end of the backyard, all feeling excited for what was to come. As they stared down Red and Pika, the boy felt his body shaking vibrantly. And how could he not be pumped up?! After all, Kevin was about to have his first ever Pokemon battle against his own father, a former League Champion himself! Surely nothing could dampen his mood...

Then came the thought that instantly ruined the excitement for Kevin: If only Leaf was here. Then we could have made this a double battle.

Cindy, who was sitting on the grass far away from the soon to be battlefield with Spark in her lap, noticed his smile falter for a split second and immediately knew the reason. She was about to speak, but Red beat her to it.

"Look, son, I know how much you love Leaf and all..." he started teasingly. Cindy and the Pikachus had to stifle a laugh while Kevin just looked at his father with a red, embarrassed face. Predator was a little confused, though.

Red then turned serious and stated sternly, "...but if you don't quit moping around, you will never become a great trainer, let alone save her!" Cindy and Spark both flinched, as they weren't expecting that from him. Kevin and Maria just stood there, mouths agape.

"Ready or not, here we come! Pika, go! Iron Tail!" Red yelled out without warning. Predator growled as Pika jumped up into the sky from Red's shoulder with his tail glowing white. Kevin snapped out of his stupor.

"Predator, I choose you! Use Iron Head to defend yourself!" he retaliated. A jagged shiny pattern appeared on Predator's forehead. Pika acrobatically slammed his Iron Tail on it, and the force caused the ground to dent a little bit. He flipped backward and landed on his feet while Predator stood there, a little dazed.­

"Now Bulldoze!" Kevin exclaimed. Red said nothing while Predator rapidly shook his head and stomped down on the ground, creating a shock wave. It hit Pika and pushed him back a little bit. But, for a Ground type move, it hardly even fazed him.

"Dragon Breath!" Kevin hollered. Again, Red did not speak as light blue waves of energy started swirling around Predator. He then fired a light blue beam from his mouth at an unmoving Pika. He took the attack head on, which resulted in an explosion. Before the dust settled, Kevin was already calling out his next move.

"You think I can't get stronger?! You think I can't beat The Masked Man and his however many Legendaries he has?! You think I can't save Leaf?! Well, thanks, Dad! You just lit a raging fire inside of me! And I'm going to prove you wrong by becoming the Champion of the Sinnoh region! DRACO METEOR!" he screamed, letting out all the pent-up anger he had been holding in for the last two years. Red just chuckled.

"I know you can. You are my son after all." he muttered to himself. Predator's body glowed orange, and he fired a ball of energy into the sky. However, instead of exploding like it was supposed to, it just flew...and flew...and flew...until the family couldn't see it anymore.

"...O...K, where'd it go?" Kevin asked as sweat went down the back of everybody's heads. Predator especially looked embarrassed.

Soon, the Draco Meteor reached the Sinnoh region. Then it fell straight into a certain base, destroying one of the buildings.

"Whoa! Who fired at us?!" a certain masked Team Radical Rocket grunt gasped with her Pokemon looking a little shaken up.

"Well, whoever it was either had impeccable aim...or just got pathetically unlucky." another one grumbled. A third grunt and her Pokemon had to bite their lips to stop themselves from cracking up.

"I think somebody accidentally declared war on Team Radical Rocket." she mumbled under her breath.

In this grunt's mind, she was thinking, I see you love my birthday present...Kevy.