Prologue

Noise.

A simple word that's normally used as another mean to describe a sound of any kind...but in this world, its significance was far more terrifying.

Odd creatures that come in all shapes and sizes, yet all share the same abilities. They're unable to be harmed by any known means due to their ability to shift between dimensions, and if one happens to touch you, all one can do is scream as they're turned into carbon dust.

Even the mention of the word might cause some to panic, something he found oddly amusing when he accidently let the word slip.

But while any would immediately begin to run away in fear at the sight of the Noise, he simply stared at them in annoyance.

He had just walked out of work and wanted to get home to rest, but when turning a corner his eyes quickly spotted a few dozen standing all over the street with numerous piles of carbon dust around them.

Before he could even take a single step back, the Noise took notice and began to charge towards him.

"...And just when I had regenerated a nice amount of magicka." He muttered, shaking his head. Taking a deep breath, he shouted, "Fus Vo Feim!"

The instance those words left his mouth, the Noise's color changed, and a bolt of lightning shot forth toward the ones that were closer to him. The first few were turned to dust, the bolt jumping from one to another before finally stopping at the seventh creature.

Sidestepping a Noise that rolled his way, he slashed at it with a purple ethereal sword, cutting it in half, which was followed by another three that were sliced in different angles.

He jumped back in time to dodge an attack that came from a flying Noise, throwing another bolt of lightning at it before an icy mist surrounded his hand. With a single gesture, a wall of ice rose in front of him, blocking more flying Noise that tried to pierce him in their spear-like form.

With the creatures stuck in the ice, he punched the wall with a fire-enhanced fist, causing it to explode alongside the Noise behind it while shards of ice were sent flying to the other creatures, piercing and destroying them.

Seeing that there were only a handful were left, his hand went into a gun gesture with a small flame at the tip of his finger and started blasting tiny fireballs towards them that, upon contact, caused an explosion that engulfed them completely, turning them into ash.

"...Annoying bastards." He said, blowing the small flame from his finger while the ethereal blade vanished from his hand.

And just like that, he continued his walk back home, thankfully without any more interruptions.

/

"Sir, all the Noise have been destroyed." A man reported. "The signal has also disappeared alongside them."

Genjuro Kazanari clicked his tongue. "How long until Tsubasa and Kanade arrive?"

"They're estimate to reach the area in five more minutes."

He let out a sigh. By the time they get there, that person will be long gone. "Tell them to make sure the area is clean."

"Understood!"

/

Upon returning home, his first course of action was to head to the kitchen and grab some refreshments before sitting on his couch, placing the snacks on the small coffee table and grabbing the book that laid there.

It was a tradition to him, to read and eat the moment he got home, and it was something he would continue to do no matter where he was, the only difference being the type of books he read. At least here there were far less distractions, which was something he appreciated greatly.