The Strangest Soldiers

Some young goblins follow an older one down the road, with spears and bows. The older one has a rope tied to his body, despite this he hums a cheerful tune, a female goblin holding the rope hums the same tune. Another goblin addresses the rope carrier.

"Hey Qith."

"Yeah?"

"Why did you decide to embark on this mission? The fæ are dangerous creatures, they killed that poor human by the road, and us goblins tend to be inferior fighters."

"Well that human wasn't a fighter."

"And about my question?"

"Oh right, I guess I don't want you guys mistreating our old pal Otird here just because his mind's a bit broken. And if we end up fighting fæ, then I'll be able to prove to my father that I'll be worthy of becoming the next chief of our tribe."

"Hmm, well we're just cleaning up a body, not like fæ cares much about corpses past the fact that it's evidence of their crimes."

"Yeah well, what if it's a tra-"

The whole group stops and turns their attention towards the side of the road while the older goblin, Otird, tries to continue walking but is stopped by the rope. They notice a couple of trees next to the road have been toppled over, and had fallen over towards the direction they were walking away from.

Otird chuckles

"It's just a fæ illusion, nothing to worry about."

Qith responds

"You say that about everything."

"That's because it's true."

"That's your crazy speaking, and anyways, the issue still stands, something big was moving towards our home, and we don't know what it is..."

Another goblin chimes in

"If it was heading towards our direction, wouldn't we have met it by now?"

Qith looks over to the other goblin

"Good one, that means whatever it was had to have went into the forest or climbed up the mountains."

The other goblin replies

"Well if it moved into the forest, wouldn't we have seen a trail?"

"Yes, that means it must've climbed the mountains."

"But the we would've seen claw marks or something from when it climbed upwards."

"So where else could it have gone?"

The goblins spend a moment thinking, but then Qith snaps her finger, interrupting the session.

"We can't be distracted by this, if we don't clean that body soon Angurik soldiers will find it and start believing that the fæ are helping us in this war, and we don't want it to escalate any further than it already has."

The others nod in agreement, and continue walking, with only small chatter to fill the silence. As they walk and talk, a new noise begins to flow through the air, a rumbling of the earth, the howling of a beast never heard before.

"How many of us has shields?"

Qith asks, the rest of the goblins check themselves for any shields, and find no luck.

"No shields, no shield wall, we'll have to form a line of spearmen, with our archers readily behind them. Otird will stand behind all of us, since he has to be the one cleaning the body."