Four

I finished unpacking, alone. And went to sleep. The sleeping bag was god awful, but luckily I was so emotionally drained, I passed out.

I regretted it in the morning, popping two Advil and chasing it with coffee. I sat on the floor in my pajamas, trying to get the motivation to get dressed and get some furniture.

It didn't happen because I heard a knock at my door. It was likely a neighbor. No one except Steve knows where I live. And well, sort of Bucky and Nat. They just don't know which apartment. I groaned climbing up off the floor and made my way to the door. I opened it and saw Steve.

"Uh, hi?"

"Thought you could use some help getting furniture." He answered my unspoken question. "I'm cheaper than a delivery service." He grinned.

I laughed. "Yeah? What's it gonna cost me?"

"Breakfast?" He suggested. Before I could speak he held up his hand. "I know, I know. You don't eat breakfast. We can settle for a muffin for breakfast and then you can buy me lunch. You need to eat if we're going to be lugging around furniture."

He had a point. "Deal. There's a bakery down the street. Just lemme get dressed."

"Sure." Steve nodded, grinning from his little victory. He stepped into my apartment and leaned on the kitchen counter.

I walked to my bedroom, pulling out some comfortable clothes. Jeans and a tank top. Making sure to not forget deodorant since I know I will ultra sweaty today.

"This would be way more comfortable of a wait if there was a couch!" Steve yelled through the apartment, causing me to burst out laughing.

"You're the one who randomly showed up knowing I don't have furniture!" I walked out to him and tossed the keys. "Let's go. You're driving."

Steve shrugged as he opened my door and stepped aside, gesturing for me to go first.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks."

"So sarcastic." He snipped back.

"You're right, I'm sorry, Cap."

"Hey, none of the Cap stuff. You're not an avenger anymore, remember. I'm just Steve."

That made me smile. "Okay. Just Steve." I walked around to the passenger side door of the van and got in. Steve started the car and we were off.

"So... when's the funeral?" I interrupted our silence.

"Tomorrow." Steve said firmly.

I nodded. "Well, if you want company, I'm sure I have a black dress somewhere." I don't know why I'm offering. This new situation with Steve was different, we would argue and bicker and never got along. What changed?

"Really?" He sounded completely surprised.

I shrugged. "Yeah, I mean. If no one else is going with you, I could-"

"That would mean so much to me. Thank you, Rae." He had his signature grin across his face. Something in me was thrilled I put it there. But what the hell was that?

A small flash of a memory crossed my mind, Steve sitting on a barstool, that same smile on his face. Seems like a million years ago.

*****

Furniture shopping went perfectly and in all honesty I don't know how I would have done it without him. His helpfulness was as much of a surprise as it was when Steve had Bucky meet us at my apartment to carry everything in.

"Thanks again, Buck."

"Sure, no problem. You're family." Bucky shrugged as he and Steve put down the last piece of furniture I picked out. A comfortable chair for the living room, by the bookshelf.

"I hate asking this but-"

"I won't tell Stark." He placed his hand on my shoulder. "Though I hope you can work it out. We really miss you around the compound."

"Thanks. Can you tell Nat I miss her?"

Bucky's face broke out into a grin and a voice from behind me explained why. "Tell her yourself."

"Nat!" I ran to her and hugged her.

"Hey Rae. I miss you too."

"What are you doing here?" I questioned as I pulled away from her.

She tilted her head and looked behind me to Bucky. He rubbed the back of his neck as he answered. "We hadn't gotten there yet."

"Gotten where?" I looked between the three of them, all glancing at each other.

After many long glances, Natasha smiled wide. "We're taking you out to dinner." I opened my mouth to argue but she covered my mouth. "No excuses. We're family. Avenger shit aside. Now nod and then go get dressed."

I've never been one to say no to Natasha. Truthfully, I don't think anyone really has. The look on her face told me she knew she won, so I nodded and turned to walk towards my room. "Dress code?" I yelled out as I got in there.

"Look nice but not like you're trying too hard!" She yelled back. Yeah, easier said than done when you look like she does. Fine, little black dress with knee high boots should work. I changed quickly and pulled my hair out of the bun it ended up in. I walked to my bathroom and sprayed it with some water and then ran my fingers through any knots. When I was content with my hair, I threw on some subtle eyeliner and walked out.

I did a spin as I entered the room. "Well, you clean up nicely. And quickly." Natasha looked at her watch. "We might actually not be late tonight." She stood up and walked out my door, typical Natasha making herself at home after being here for a literal ten minutes. And yet, we all followed her out.

Natasha and Bucky brought two separate cars so they went in Natasha's while Steve drove he and I. It was almost too comfortable with us, us both actually singing along to the radio. For a while I forgot about everything else. About Tony. About Morgan. About the Avengers. My abilities. Everything. Just felt...normal.

Until we walked into an empty restaurant and Tony fucking Stark was sitting at an empty table.

I immediately turned around ready to leave, not even thinking how I'd get back home, but Natasha stopped me.

"Just hear him out."

"Absolutely fucking not, Nat." I crossed my arms and tried stepping around her but she moved with me.

"I think we've trained together enough to know how this goes. Go." I sucked the inside of my mouth in between my teeth. She was right. Without my abilities I never got the jump on her before, and truthfully I'd never use them out of fear of hurting her so, here we were.

"Fine. Five minutes." I agreed, dramatically stomping over to Tony, sitting as far away from him as I could. I saw a glass of wine poured already so I took it and downed it. By the look on Tony's face it was probably rather expensive, so I took the whole bottle off the table and put it right to my lips and took a big swig of it before placing it down. "Five minutes. Go."

I saw the three traitors sit down at another table behind Tony and I glared at them. They were obviously purposely avoiding my eyes, but they knew.