Eleven

"Oh." I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. "That's a lot."

Steve shrugged. "It is, but it's really fine. Nothing for you to worry about at all. He's just overreacting because he's hurt."

I nodded, I'm sure Tony was hurt. And I knew it was just like him to blame other people for his own problems and feelings, anything other than the great Tony Stark being wrong. But something was bothering me and I couldn't keep being friends with Steve unless we talked about it.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He sighed. "About Morgan?" I nodded and he turned more to be facing me, my legs still on his lap. "It was confidential. SHEILD level confidential. Bucky only knows because he and Nat don't keep secrets from each other... Morgan is a high level priority to SHIELD. Just like Clint's family. Who Tony tells is up to him. If something happened to her... I couldn't tell a secret that wasn't mind to tell. It wasn't like we didn't tell him to tell you, we did. Especially after he proposed."

I guess that made sense. Realistically I know I can't be mad at anyone else for Tony's deceit, that was all him. His choices. His lies.

I took a deep breath. "You're right, thank you for explaining. And for being here, this has meant so much to me, honestly. I'm so glad to have you."

Steve looked into my eyes, his hand on my calf. His thumb began rubbing gently and I wondered if he knew he was doing it or if it was absent minded. I stared into his eyes until it became too much. The feelings taking over me were too strong, too inappropriate given our history. I looked away, down to were he was touching me.

"Is this okay?" He spoke just above a whisper, his hands pausing.

"Yes." I managed to breathe out, looking back at his eyes. They seemed softer than I'd ever seen before. I watched as his lips pulled up into a slight smile as his hand moved up a bit more to my knee. I should stop him. His thumb touched my lower thigh. I should-

Steve suddenly jumped off of the couch. "Thank you, for spending time with me today. Here," he grabbed our ice cream containers, "I'll put these in the trash."

I blinked, letting my emotions adjust from the whiplash they just received. I felt so much in those few seconds with him. I felt so much for him. I didn't think I could feel that anymore, at least not so soon.

He was taking his time in the kitchen and I could tell it was to avoid me, avoid this feeling that I for sure wasn't the only one feeling. I gave him a couple more moments before I got up and walked to him.

"Steve-"

I couldn't even begin to think of what I was going to say because he interrupted me by rushing towards me and kissing me.

Steve was kissing me. Kissing. ME. His lips were on mine, his hands in my hair, and he was pulling me as close to his body as we could get. I didn't even hesitate. I just fell into kissing him back. It felt like electricity flowing through me, through him, through us. I didn't think about anything other than "yes, god yes." I stood up on my tippy toes, wrapping my arms around his neck as I pulled him close to me. We kissed for a while but it still felt like it was too soon when he pulled away.

He pressed his forehead against mine. "I shouldn't have done that."

"Yeah. Me either." We were both gasping for air. He didn't move away from me so I didn't either.

Until his phone rang. He pulled it out and I saw Tony's name across the screen. I tensed up and pulled away. Steve gave me a sympathetic look but let me move away as he answered.

"What?" His brows scrunched. "Yes, why?" Steve's eyes flickered to me as his face looked questioning. "She's not going to want to do that."

I inhaled deeply. What the hell does Tony want from me now?

"This isn't a trick, you're being serious?" He stepped further away from me. "Okay, yeah. I'll tell her." He ended the call and looked at me. "You're being called in."

"What? No way, I quit. Tony can't-"

"Tony isn't calling you in. Fury is. He's calling the whole team."