nineteen

San's threat sits heavily in all corners of your brain. At breakfast, chewing slowly at your buttered bread, at night, laying in bed with Wooyoung's breath tickling the back of your neck and his arm weighing across your stomach.

Even now, sat on the bench in Hongjoong's study, as you look silently up at Seonghwa, Yeosang, Jongho and Wooyoung discussing a game plan, San's words echo at the forefront of your mind.

"I'll give you a week to tell them yourself. If you don't, then I will."

There was no way in Hell you could tell Yeosang what you did. Not only what you did, but the consequences of it too. Perhaps telling Hongjoong directly would be better? He'd be more angry with you than disappointed, and you knew you couldn't handle Yeosang or Wooyoung's broken reactions to your confession.

"I think we should strike first, Sir." Seonghwa says confidently. "We get them first, they lose the element of surprise. They're unprepared, we catch them offguard, we win."

"Nah, they'll be expectin' it." The most unfamilar to you, Jongho, opposes the kingsguard in his northern twang, making Seonghwa frown.

The king himself sits in his specially carved wooden chair, his magnificent tawny fur coat hanging off the back. One leg is crossed over the other, and he leans forward on both his arms, listen intently to the men bickering before him.

"Seventeen are ruthless." Hongjoong says suddenly, silencing Wooyoung's arguments. "If I am correct, which, I always am, Jeonghan will be leading their heads of state, if not their entire armed forces, here already." He gets up and walks over to the window, perching down on the seat and staring at the kingdom below.

"Their army will be much, much bigger than ours. Probably more powerful, too."

"Sir-" Seonghwa's frown deepens as he watches his king, his best friend seemingly work himself into a downward mental spiral.

"But I''ll be damned if we don't go down without a fight. I refuse to make it easy for them." Hongjoong whips around to stare the other men down with a burning fire in his eyes. His shoulders, sharp but broad, stand brave you watch as Seonghwa nods in recognition.

This is the king he knows.

"Seonghwa, go and make sure all the soldiers are prepared, find San and Mingi and sort them out too. Yeosang, Wooyoung, please make sure all important documents you have pertaining to the prophecy are safe. Jongho, I trust the topic we discussed previously you are still happy with?"

Jongho nods, and leaves the room, the other three following suit.

Leaving Hongjoong in the room, with only you.

"Iris," Hongjoong sighs, dropping back down into his seat. "What can I help you with?"

Shakily, you stand up from the bench and sit down in one of the chairs opposite the king.

"There's something I need to tell you." You breathe, staring at your clammy hands which sit folded in your lap.

"You've been learning dark magic from a book you stole from Yunho and now you're worried that you've caused a war and people are going to die because of you?"

"I- What?" You sit frozen, completely caught off-guard by Hongjoong cutting you off with the truth.

"San told me everything."

That bastard.

"You're not mad?"

"Of course I'm mad, Iris. I would be a terrible king if I wasn't furious at you for putting my kingdom in danger."