Chapter Twenty: His Cold Skull

The next morning Draven nudged her awake with his boot, and she grit her teeth as pain from the previous day shot through her body.

"It's time to go," he said.

It took her longer than usual to get up and prepare to leave. After exchanging their armor for traveling clothes, they retrieved Storm and Ignis and set off northwards. They entered the forest not too long after setting out, and by the time they stopped for a break at noon they were far into the woods. As they ate lunch in silence, she almost fell asleep against the frozen log she leaned against.

"What did you do yesterday?" he asked, obviously wondering why she was so lethargic.

"I marched like everyone else," she muttered, forcing her eyelids open and swallowing the last of her meal. "I had to help Tholan walk, that's all. His leg was bothering him since Slater..." She cut off her sentence.

She thought Draven was going to make a snide remark, but he remained silent.

"After we get back to the Decaster camp, what then?" Jorlin asked.

Draven took a deep breath, sniffling from the chill, and answered, "When we're a day's travel by horseback from the manor, we'll sneak away after nightfall to Mauntell Castle."

"Are you going to fight in the siege?" she asked.

"It's my duty."

"And this whole ordeal you've gone through," she said, "all this trouble, it's solely for duty?"

"Aye," he replied. "I serve the crown, and I'll do it until I die."

"It has to be more than that."

"How would you know?" he asked sourly.

"You wouldn't be you if it was only that." Jorlin inwardly slapped herself. That barely made any sense.

He seemed to understand, however. "Fine; you're right. It was also about revenge. I wanted to crush Slater after everything he made me go through as a squire."

Jorlin uncrossed her arms. "I want to know how he's still alive after all the things he's done."

Draven shrugged. "He's under Clovis's protection, and not only that, but he'll have no problem killing anyone who gets in his way."

"Aye, I know."

A strange look came over Draven's face, his features relaxing. "Now, what I want to know is why he hasn't killed you."

"What are you saying?" she asked, trying to hide her unease.

"He hates you. You've created enough trouble for him to go mad over. Why hasn't he simply gotten rid of you?"

Jorlin pondered his question. "I suppose because Clovis probably wouldn't want me dead, at least not yet."

"That's possible. I suspect it might be more complicated than that," he replied. "Slater will stab you in the back when you least expect it."

"I'm guessing you know that from experience."

He shook his head. "No. But I've seen him do it to countless others. He takes everything out on someone eventually."

"I've noticed. Were you ever that person?" Why did she ask that? Now it seemed like she cared.

Draven looked down as he clenched his jaw. "Aye."

It confused Jorlin when she felt as angry as she did. Why should she of all people care about Draven? Nevertheless, she clenched her fists until her knuckles hurt.