Chapter 6

"why do we play
the game "

"why do we play   the game "

Andrew's POV

"What do you want?" My dad asked briefly looking up from his newspaper then looked back down.

"How do you know I want something? I could just be here because I want to." That wasn't the case I did want something.

"Because ever since you were a kid you would always stand there gathering up your courage to tell us something. Like food or a toy or that kid's doll figure you were obsessed with when you were younger." He answered still focus on his paper.

"Ok first it wasn't a doll it was a badass limited action figure," I asserted like a kid while he gave me a look. "That's beside the point, I wanted to ask you about me maybe getting a car..." I said. Quickly getting his attention before shaking his head and saying 'no'. "Come on dad, we were talking about this before everything happened. Think about a pro like you won't have to take me anywhere."

He thought about it for a second but then came back to his original response. "If you really want transportation, you can just take that car in the garage," he spoke before smirking.

"That car hasn't been touch in I don't know how long so it probably doesn't even work," I said

"That's the point. Also shouldn't you be in practice right now?" he asked while getting up from his seat and walked into the kitchen.

"Oh yeah I forgot to mention that basketball has been canceled, coach said to take this time and think. Now onto that car topic," I answered quickly trying to change the topic as soon as possible.

"What do you mean it's been canceled? That's ridiculous!" he said getting upset. "Just because a kid couldn't take a little bit of pressure doesn't mean he needed to ruin for the rest of the team." he went on about how Whitey couldn't do this and blah, blah. I don't see an issue with it I mean it sucks that we could lose a good season but it was obvious that some players on the team were stressed out. And that doesn't end well either.

"So about a car -" I try to speak but was interrupted by my father.

"Enough, you are not getting a car." I tried to argue but he responded with, "End of discussion." in a stern voice. "Now I need to get going before I miss my flight," he said grabbing his coat and a duffle bag. Wait, flight? He turned while adjusting his coat catching my confused expression. "I didn't tell you did I?" I shook my head. "I have to take a business trip to set up some stuff."

"You know how long you gonna be gone?" I asked trying to get some information since he just sprung this on me. Not that it was anything new to me I used to be left alone all the time. Maybe a little too much.

"I don't know maybe a couple of days. Don't worry I'm sure it won't take that long." He responded. So I'm just gonna be left here without transportation of my own. And that's when one of my brilliant ideas came to mind.

"I'll go with you to the airport. What kind of son would I be if I didn't spend every minute I could with my dad before he leaves." I announced which made him look at me a little suspicious but shrugged it off as he got the car keys and walked out of the house in front of me. I trailed behind him until I picked up the spare car key that was hanging on the key rack and slipped it into my pocket before shutting the door behind me.

═════ ◈ ═════

I said goodbye to my dad and saw him disappear into the airport before entering the car and starting it up. I know a great plan right.

Right now I'm back at my house for a call with my mom. She did keep her word about calling in and checking up on me. That's when I heard my phone start ringing. "Hello, mom, "

Mom: Hi sweetie how are you? I know I haven't called as much as I should.

Me: It's fine mom you don't need to check on me every day. You deserve to have your own life too. And to answer your question I'm doing ok. What about you, how are you doing without your wonderful son?

Mom: I'm doing good, a little quiet without you around. But at least I don't have to worry about getting calls from the neighbors saying a naked man is yelling 'I'm the king of the world'.

Me: That was one time and I still plead innocent to not knowing that man.

Mom: Of course you do. Anyways how is school going so far over there?

Me: Uh boring?

Mom: Andrew.

Me: It's going good so far but basketball did get canceled until further notice so that's one thing.

Mom: What do you mean it's been canceled. Do you need me to come down and knock some sense to the coach?

Me: No mom I'm good, it's actually not bad. The players just need some time to recuperate. Dad doesn't agree but it's whatever.

Mom: Ok well since you think so. Also, what does your dad agree on? Speaking about your dad how are you dealing with the living situation?

Me: Uh it's ok I guess. He's mostly out or at work when I get here. Ok mom enough about me, what have you've been doing?

The call continued as we asked questions back and forth trying to see what's been going on. She also kept talking about a certain man and how they've been hanging out. Don't know if there is a romantic relationship going on there but if it is good for her. The call eventually came to an end, we said our goodbyes and ended the call.

═════ ◈ ═════

"Hey, love birds!" I greeted Haley and Nathan. Haley hid her face in Nathan's neck while he just laughed. They said hi back before I went on and found Peyton. Seeing her deeply looking at Jagielski. "You should go talk to him."

Catching her attention "One night your over here taking care of Brooke then the other you're trying to set me up with Jake, " she spoke.

"What can I say I'm just a nice guy." she laughs before looking back at Jake. "But I'm serious you should go talk to him before other girls go up to him because that guitar is a girl magnet." She gives me a look before Jake finishes up his song. Everyone in the cafe gave him a round of applause then Peyton made her towards him. Guess I'm the matchmaker.

Lucas passed to Nathan before Nate passed the ball back to him taking it to the hoop and dunking it. I got the ball passed to me and made a layup that Luke try to block. "Can't handle me, Scott, or what?" I joke as I flash a smirk, he just laughed it off and we continued with the game. The ball went off the court as Jake went to go get it sharing an interaction with Peyton. "Cute moment, Jagielski." I told him causing him to chuckle and playfully push me a little. We went with the game as Nathan dunked it giving a high five Fergie. "You know I don't know how to feel about you and Lucas dunking on us," I said in a playful manner making him laugh.

We went on with the game and for the first time in a while, we played for fun. Not keeping score just enjoying the moment. Now, this is what the game is supposed to be about.