Chapter 6. The March to Another Unit

WHEN JULIE FINALLY emerged from the bathroom she looked happy, clean and comfortably attired in black steel toe-capped shoes, fresh socks, underclothes and standard grey wallpad engineering work overalls.

"You look a million walldollars, babe," said a waiting Sally joyfully.

"You too, Sal. Wearing the same uniforms, so to speak, it's as if we're back at school."

"True, 'cept we've got a wallpad logo for a school badge."

Julie twisted her head down to look at the wallpad logo cotton badge on her overalls' upper right arm. In this case, the orange "w" was centred on a white circular badge, edged with orange stitching. She rubbed a finger across it. "Should we cut the logo off? It looks as if it's a simple stitch-job onto the arm of the overalls."

"No. We need to look like wallpad engineers. Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

"I doubt anyone else does."

"Which is just as well. Don't worry, I'll keep you informed as I show you the ropes. I don't want to confuse you by attempting a major info dump in a single pass."

"Right you are, Sally mate."

"Come on. See those sturdy distinctive jet-black wallpad rucksacks?" Sally pointed to an untidy section of the room. "We could do with one each."

"I've seen them worn by all kinds of wallpad workers in the city," said Julie, heading with Sally to an untidy pile of rucksacks.

"Yeah. They're the best. Plenty of space and side pockets and stuff. Back support built in, stretchable materials, and comfortable robust straps. They're actually the same as wallpad military rucksacks. The only difference being the colour."

So Julie and Sally were set to create some heavy loads for themselves. It wouldn't matter how heavy their loads were, because sixty-six-year-olds were pretty hardy in 2191—those that were somehow still alive. Evolution in action. So the more they could stuff in their rucksacks the better.

"So how long have you known of my whereabouts?" asked Julie examining the nearest rucksack with a nod of approval.

"About two months. That's when I was transferred here from wallpad's Birmingham Office."

"They've still got an office there? I thought the United States was completely annihilated early in the war."

"It was. I meant Birmingham, England, you ridiculous numpty."

"Uh, okay."

"Come over to the expedition storage area. There's loads of stuff ready for us to pilfer."

Julie followed Sally to a section in the control room with a bank of cupboards filled with all sorts of useful expeditionary items, including food, water and technological devices.

"Yeah, got out just in time," continued Sally. "It's annihilated just like its namesake, now." Sally opened a cupboard filled with bottled water. "There's plenty of other drinks, but nothing quenches your thirst like water. It's got lots of other uses too. The chemistry of water is a wonder to behold. Six large bottles will do. They hold a litre each."

"Funny that America was the first country to fall," pondered Julie shoving a bottle into her rucksack, mimicking every move that Sally made.

"As in 'funny, ha ha'?"

"Steady on, girl. I'm not a mindless hater. No, 'funny' as in strange ... ironic ... unexpected."

"Well, Jules. I reckon the Japanese learned from their original military mistake on Pearl Harbor in the last World War. This time they went straight for the jugular, straight for the heart, and didn't stop attacking until the job was done. Attack! Attack! Attack! Nothing could stop 'em. Laser bombs from Hell. Tora bloody Tora. People thought the Hiroshima and Nagasaki incidents were forgiven, if not forgotten. How wrong they all were! Nations never forgive, and never forget. They just go along with the pretence for political and economic reasons. But it's there bubbling under, a deep-seated need and want for revenge and justice."