35- The Dance That Changed Everything

Warning: *Steamy content*

Songs: 'Careless Whisper' by George Michael; 'Me You I' by The Cavemen; 'Dive' by Ed Sheeran; 'Leave The Door Open' by Bruno Mars, Anderson .Paak and Silk Sonic; 'Kiss Me' by Ed Sheeran.

"You sent me a whole outfit? Saheed, I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything."

I can hear the smile in his voice and I can imagine his expression; pleased, satisfied to have surprised me.

"Thank you. It's gorgeous."

I run my hand over the pale blue lace dress with tulle bell sleeves that end in cuffs. The dress is short, but it has a slit in front, where my left thigh will be. It is beautiful, but it's the gesture that makes my heart start to flutter in my chest. The footwear he sent is a pair of white, heeled mules and a matching white purse. Beside them on my bed are a dozen red roses and a note.

I'm coming for you by seven. Be ready for me.

Reading it again makes me shiver in anticipation. What does he have up his sleeves?

I go through my day, constantly checking the time, counting down till the end of my current project: selecting outfits for some celebrities that will be attending some award show tonight.

"You look like you have a lot on your mind."

I look away from my phone and smile at Koko Olaniyi, one of my clients. Koko has been nominated for best Nollywood actress this year, and I am certain she is taking that award home, thanks to her stellar performances and large social media followings. With the show a few hours away and her sudden change of heart on the previously selected outfit due to her weight gain, I had been called in last minute to help out.

"Frankly, I do," I confide.

"It's that your fine construction guy, isn't it?"

"Is that what people refer to Saheed as?" I laugh.

"I've heard of him. You've both showed up on these popular blogs sometimes too na. I think you both look gorgeous together." She winks at me.

"I've got a date tonight. With him." I can't stop myself from sharing this exciting news. I feel like a teenager, giddy with the euphoria of first love. "He even got me a dress!"

"That's so sweet of him. Make sure you have fun."

"Koko, why does it feel like the fun is much more than that, coming from you?"

Koko winks at me and saunters off with a laugh, leaving me to shake my head.

*

Dressing up takes less time than I expected; a shower, lotion, light make up, styling my hair in a slicked back bun, and putting on my jewelry and outfit takes me less than an hour. I sit on the couch in my living room, suddenly nervous, wondering if the excitement will be too visible when Saheed shows up.

What did he plan? I ask myself. Why didn't he tell me?

I nearly jerk when the doorbell rings at two minutes to seven. Taking a deep breath, I rise and move towards it. Saheed is there, wearing a pale blue cotton shirt, black tailored slacks, and black loafers. The grin on is face falters when he looks me up and down, like he is drinking me with his eyes.

"Hi," I breathe, feeling my cheeks grow warmer than usual.

We share a hug, the close contact allowing me to deeply inhale his cologne and scent.

"Hi, gorgeous," he says right into my ear.

"Hello, handsome," I respond.

When we separate, he takes my hand and twirls me around, whistling in appreciation. I find myself giggling, enjoying the attention.