22- Distractions

Saheed II:

How can I look forward to this event and dread it at the same time?

Walking into the large hall of The Citizen Center, Ikoyi at exactly seven-thirty pm, I say a silent prayer to the god of self-control. Surely, just one night won't undo me. There is excitement in the air, a certain charge in the atmosphere. Or am I imagining it? I am not sure.

The hall is half-full, and right on the stage is a slender young man dressed in a loose green shirt and a matching pair of trousers. He is beckoning to a young woman in front of the stage.

Baba and Ola's Salsa class is in full swing, I see.

A space has already been cleared for the Salsa students. At the periphery, chairs and tables are set. Apparently, the class should last for about forty-five minutes before the real party begins. Already, there are about a score of people in front of the stage, watching with interest while the instructor addresses them through a small microphone pinned to the collar of his shirt. Curious, I make my way towards the stage, saying hello to acquaintances along the way. The small crowd is made up of paired partners. Out of curiosity, I had watched YouTube videos of Salsa dances for beginners. It had never interested me in the past, but I had watched because I was bored with nothing to do but sit in my apartment and think about how much different my life would have been if I hadn't messed it up by being a disobedient child. The basic steps are quick, simple front-back-front movements, alternating the weight of the body on the feet while holding on to your partner.

"Like me, you don't have a partner."

I turn towards the owner of the voice and smile. "Lois, it's always a pleasure."

"Is that sarcasm I hear?"

"Come on, sweetheart. You know me better."

Lois is a friend from a few years back. The daughter of one of my father's friends, Lois and I get along quite well. She is a chubby, bubbly woman a year older than me. Once, she had confided in me that she was a lesbian and that was why she never considered marriage even when her family began to put pressure on her. It seems they may have gotten tired of bugging dear Lois, because clearly, she has been living the life, if her Instagram posts are to be taken literally.

"Don't just stand there, ask me to dance with you."

"Where are my manners?" I ask with a fake gasp. "Will you do me the honors, dear Lois?"

"You're lucky I'm feeling generous today."

Lois proves to be a good Salsa dancer, to my surprise. She laughs when my face shows my thoughts.

"You don't know what is going on, abi?"

"Honestly, Lois, I am impressed."

She grins up at me. "By the way, what happened to that beauty I used to see you with?"

"I have been with many beauties, so you have to be specific."

"The one you actually liked."

"I liked them all, that's why I was with them."

Oh, but I know which particular one she is talking about.

"Slim, light skinned, soft, curly hair, long neck. You know, the half-caste one."

"I have met many biracial women."

Lois rolls her eyes and steps on my foot. "My bad, sorry."

"That was deliberate, you bully."

She laughs as I spin her around. "Just as you're being deliberately oblivious. Any ways, I thought you two looked perfect for each other. You actually liked her."