Chapter 7

"the brunette"

Andrew's POV

"Andrew!" I heard a hush voice call behind me. I look back to see a brunette leaned forward over her desk.

"You remembered my name, didn't think you would," I spoke to her.

She laughed quietly before speaking up again, "I can't forget gentleman's name, " making me chuckle. "I didn't get to say a proper thank you for that night, so thank you," she said. "Usually I would offer another way of a thank you but that's not available right now."

I laughed at her comment "The first thank you was enough. Don't want Lucas trying to come for my head." I responded causing her to laugh.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked me before I gave her a nod. "Do you listen to Travis?" I looked at her with a confused expression on my face. "Like that Travis guy, Lucas listens to" I still kept a confused expression until I realized what she was trying to talk about.

"You mean that rock group?" I asked before she looked at me and tilted her head a bit.

"It's a group?" she asked and I answered her with a nod. She covered her face with her hands then put them down with a tint of red. "No wonder Luke looked at me weird when I said 'he's the best," I let out a laugh before looking back at the brunette seeing her put her face down. She let out a groan of embarrassment.

"It's no big deal, I'm pretty sure Lucas doesn't care that you thought a band was a person. Stop stressing about it, " she looked up making eye contact with me causing me to lose my train of thought for a minute before I looked down catching myself from the daze. I looked back at her seeing a smile take over her face.  Well, I least I cheered her up a bit. "Why are you so worried about it anyway?" I asked trying to get the focus on something else.

"Because it feels like we don't have anything in common. He likes books and music I don't get but you know who also likes that stuff, Peyton." I raise my eyebrows knowing that he and Peyton did have a thing going on or what Lucas would say 'complicated'. "I just feel a little lost right now like I'm trying to relate with someone I don't fully know."

I nodded my head listening to what she was saying before I spoke to her, "I don't know you that well so call me out if I'm wrong," she nodded before I continued. "It seems like your trying to be a person your not. You are pretending to be the person that you think Lucas would want but you're not being yourself." I said her mouth a little agape, I think I'm doing well so far. "If you really want this relationship to work you have to know him but he also has to know you, the real you." I finished. Her expression looks like she was taken back from what I said. "Did I get that right?" I asked bringing her back to reality before she closed her mouth and nodded.

She was about to speak but the teacher told us to be quite directing the statement towards us. We slipped back into our chairs and continued with our class.

═════ ◈ ═════

"Alright gather around," Coach ordered after he blew the whistle. We stopped running and went to coach. "Where's Nathan? Tim, you're his girlfriend where is he?" Coach asked.

Tim slightly laughed at the comment before answering him. "I don't know coach. He was at school today."

"Alright. I've got some offensive sets worked out here. Line up at the low stacks." The team headed to the end of the court. Practice went by and Nathan never showed up. Weird.

I drove back to my house and parked the car in the driveway. Then I entered the empty house. My dad said he was only going to be gone for a couple of days or a week but it turned out to be a bit longer. He called here and there but they were short calls and also very awkward especially the last time. I swear he was drunk for that one. My mom also calls, these last way longer than the ones with my dad. It was mostly about how school was going and things around here. She also told me that she was moving on with someone and from the way she talks about him it seems like she's very happy right now and I couldn't be happier for her.

I sat down on the couch and turned on the tv flipping through the channels before landing on Back to the Future. I went into the kitchen making myself a sandwich then going back to sit on the couch. I finished the movie now it was playing some old western film. I tried to fight my sleepiness but it eventually took over and I passed out.

═════ ◈ ═════

The next day went by pretty fast and so did practice, Nathan still was no show. I asked Lucas what's been going on with him but he just said that Nate didn't give him an answer. I went back home and did what I did the last day which consisted of watching old school movies. Eventually, it was dark out and I was hungry but this time I was craving a burger so off to a fast food place.

I grabbed the keys and headed out of the house turning back to my door to lock it, the last thing I need I need is my house getting robbed. I started up my car and pulled out from the driveway and started my drive up the street looking around the neighborhood until one house stood out with a red door. Or more like the person who was sitting on the steps of the porch. I slowed down trying to see if the person was okay until she looked up. It was Brooke and by the scene of it, she looks upset. I pulled to the curb and parked it there before I got out of the car.

I closed the car door a little too loud since the girl looked up to see me. "Are you stalking me now?" she said loud enough for me to hear her.

"You wish." I joked. "Sorry to burst your bubble but I live around here and I was just on my way to Karen's cafe." She scoffed at the end of my sentence. Guess she doesn't like the food there. "Hey Karen's Cafe is pretty good, why are you judging?" she let out a slight laugh before answering.

"No, it's not the cafe it's just that I saw Peyton and Lucas together, " I took a seat next to her on the steps. "They were sitting down together and they just looked," she paused before finishing her sentence.
"They looked like a couple." hearing her voice crack at the end of her sentence. I looked at her to see her getting tears in her eyes before breaking down. I'm not a very good person for these situations like this. It felt like I was forced to try and comfort the person but when she started crying, I instantly wrapped my arms around her. She buried her face in the crook of my neck, hearing her sobs broke my heart. I caressed her back feeling her tears seep through my jacket. I tried to pull away from her but she tightened her grip on me not letting me move.

We stayed like that for a few minutes before I decided to ask her something. "Have you ate?" she shooked her head. I stood up and put my arm out to offer her my hand she looked at me before she gladly accepted it. "Come on let's go get some food." I opened the car door for her and we were on our way.