Mugen Train

"Flame Breathing, Esoteric Art: Ninth Form, Rengoku!" the flame hashira yelled as he shot towards his opponent to make the final blow.

"Destructive Death: Annihilation Type," Akaza retaliated with his own attack.

Rengoku struck his katana at his opponent's neck, only to have the sword curved away by the demon's arm. With all his remaining strength, Rengoku rotated his katana and aimed for Akaza's head. The demon pulled his arm back, also aiming for the kill. But before he could make the punch, Akaza was tugged back by the neck unexpectedly.

Rengoku saw this opportunity to strike him again. Akaza blocked the sword with his left arm and swung his right arm towards the hashira when a metal whip wrapped around his wrist and pulled it back.

Annoyed, Akaza yanked at the whip on his wrist, only to have his hand sliced clean off. His left arm was then sliced off by Rengoku's blade, which landed on his neck.

Both the first whip and Rengoku's blade were now on the upper moon demon's neck, desperate to cut through. Between the mountains in the distance, sunlight began to seep through. Akaza screamed, loud enough to echo across the mountains. The demon slayers winced at the volume. Akaza threw Rengoku back with a kick, snapping the katana from his neck. He regenerated his limbs and pulled the whip from his neck, twisting himself to loosen it. He tugged the whip to meet the demon slayer on the other end.

The demon slayer leaped into the air as she was tugged and landed a kick on his face. Akaza jerked back at the impact. He took the blow as a distraction to free himself from the whip around his neck.

I have to get away from the sun! he thought to himself.

Without turning back, the upper moon dashed into the forest. A part of Rengoku's blade was still stuck to his neck as he ran further away from the light. He was quickly gone.

"Rengoku-san!" Tanjirou yelled as he and Inosuke ran to help the hashira.

Rengoku was looking at the demon slayer who had just arrived. She saved his life. He needed to know who she was.

Rengoku got himself up and assured Tanjirou and Inosuke that he was fine.

"I'm fine, really. There are some passengers on the train who are injured. Please help them instead."

Tanjirou and Inosuke nodded and went off. He then approached the girl.

"Thank you for arriving when you did. The situation could have been perilous if not for your prompt actions."

The girl turned to him and smiled.

Rengoku didn't see her before while they were fighting. She looked no older than he was. She had slightly darker skin, green eyes and white hair. She wore a green jin-baori over her demon slayer uniform and had fang-like shapes painted on her face.

"It's nothing. I was the closest demon slayer around. You did a great job keeping an upper moon demon at bay before dawn," she answered.

Rengoku knows talent when he sees it. That was more than nothing. To be able to match an upper moon demon's speed was not something anyone could do. Even if Akaza did intentionally let her land the kick, it was a strong kick nonetheless, to be able to create that impact on him. Rengoku knew that the fight wasn't one he was going to win. He just had to hold out until dawn. He knew that if she hadn't been there, he could have died. It was not nothing to him. It was everything.

"I do what I can. It's nice to meet you. I am Rengoku Kyojurou."

"I know," she smiled. "I am Nomura Amari. Oh your eye! It's hurt pretty bad isn't it? The kakushi should be here soon. You should rest first. I'll help them with the passengers."

Nomura ran off to the others. Rengoku dropped to his knees, exhausted. He sighed as the sun rose on a new day. Another day to be alive.