Chapter 28: Hail

33 BULLETS

A whole day later and we'd been walking with overhead clouds all day. It was a nice break from the pounding sun.

I had been in the middle of telling a childhood story about my brother and I fighting like Tasmanian devils over who got to be Mario when Thann stopped dead in his tracks, going frozen.

"Thann?" I asked turning his way. "Something wron...?"

And before I could even get out the whole word, I was in his arms and he was running like we'd just shot out of a roller coaster. "No see!"

The wind was already blowing like a tornado around us, so I obeyed and leaned into his chest, covering myself. I grabbed at my ponytail and tucked it between us, so it wouldn't fly all over. "What's going on?"

"Cold rain!" He shouted through his sprint.

"Cold rain?" I questioned.

And that's when I started hearing the bouncing.

It was like stones being thrown behind us, whistling through the air, again and again.

I opened my eyes to peek over his shoulder and he tightened his hold. "No!"

He zigged and something sharp scraped across my wrist. I didn't cry out but tucked myself in against Thann's chest.

The sound then boomed around us.

It was like three thunderclouds converging right on top of us.

Suddenly the heavens opened and crashing sounds happened all around us. I could hear tree limbs being broken, whistling shooting passed us as Thann would dodge something, rocks pounding the ground. Booms and hits. Winds crackling. Thunder yelling.

I didn't dare look, the sounds being scary enough.

Two more scrapes went down my back, and one glided off my head. I whimpered into Thann.

"Ngibona indawo yokukhosela. Bamba kancane!"

And in another minute we were falling and the sounds eased slightly.

We were stopped.

He sighed and squeezed me tight for a moment, but my head was still spinning and my stomach lurched. I tapped him quick and pointed down. "Please. Down. Quickly."

My eyes dashed around the room, but with no bucket handy I just twisted to a wall and was sick.

"El!" He cried and was at my side, a warm hand at my lower back.

Another round of sickness was my answer.

I bent to my knees and groaned. It had been more than twenty-four hours since the raw meat, but it ultimately caught up with my roller coaster ride.

When I finally opened my eyes, I widened in a scare. Thann was covered in crossing scratches. Not many were deep, but all seeped at least some blood. I went to grab his arm when he caught my head instead.

"El hurt." His thumb rolled over my hair in distress. His demeanor changed to fear as he brought back a reddened hand.

"Oh!" I called out to all the blood and put my own hand to my head. It was sticky but not that painful. Still a stupid 'ow' came out of me. But more of an automatic reaction rather than really hurt. I squished up my face and probed the cut. It was small.

He paled and I backtracked.

"Oh, it's okay Thann. Little hurt. Little hurt. Head hurt gives lots of blood. It's not as bad as it seems." I grabbed the shirt from over my head and pressed it to the cut. "It's okay." I tried to calm him. "See? Better."