Part 9

The note barely had two lines to it, and yet it was everything. Feeling the scrap of paper rub against her skin Teresa quickened her pace a bit. 

She had found the note when she had pulled on her pants that morning, her hand just brushing over the scrap of paper. Teresa hadn't read it right there and then, she wasn't an idiot. There was a camera in her room but not in her adjoined bathroom (perks of being pregnant). She'd read it about fifty times, not believing her luck.  

The note was short and to the point:

Sublevel 5

10 am

It was risky of course. It could be a trap for her. Some elaborate scheme to show Teresa was no longer loyal and should be a prisoner instead. Teresa shivered at the mere thought of Janson having any more control over her or her baby. Yet the thought that someone in WICKED was sympathetic to her, to them, Teresa felt it outweighed any risk she could take. She needed to get out of the facility, and she needed to get out with Thomas.

She reached sublevel 5 at just barely 10, turning the corner and being hit with row upon row of machines. The entire level seemed to be bathed in black, the only light coming from the frequent blue, white, and pink parts of the machines that were lit up. It reminded her eerily of the room where Thomas had once told her he had done something terrible, and to trust him. The room where he had been ripped from her arms and then was forced to recieve the swipe. 

"Just on time I see."

Teresa whirled around, her hair whipping over her shoulder. She gasped when she saw who was behind the voice.

"You?"

The stranger offered her a soft smile, "Yes Teresa, me. We could go over the basics, but we only have a few minutes before anyone becomes suspicious of our whereabouts."

"Why am I here."

"You are going to listen carefully, understand?" Teresa nodded, "Good. Your friends are outside the facility as we speak. As far as I can tell-"

Teresa cut the stranger off at once, "My friends? Minho and Gally? What about Brenda. Have you had any cont-"

The stranger held up their hand, "I said to listen," they sighed, "But to answer your question, no. I have not been able to get into contact with them yet, not for lack of trying."

"We need a plan."

"That's what I was getting to. I feel it is best to wait to get the three of you out until after the baby is born. You'll most likely need the medical assistance that the facility can provide. When the baby and you are healthy enough, we will get you out."

"Thomas too," Teresa insisted, "You need to make Thomas and the baby a priority over me. If it comes down to a choice I went them out."

The stranger looked on sadly, "If that's what you feel is best."

"I do," Teresa said firmly, and there was no doubt in her mind. 

"Very well then. I'm still working on the logistics, but the base should be fairly simple. I will get your friends to plan a distraction at the wall, perhaps another bomb, when the time comes. Most of our personnel will be put into lockdown for their own safety, and the guards will rush to the distraction. That's when the three of you will get out. No one in the halls and no one in the way."

Teresa nodded, "Sounds simple enough."

"In the meantime, start to pay attention. Find any blind spot you can in the cameras and act normal. Even seeming more loyal at this point could make someone suspicious." The stranger glanced at their watch.

Teresa continued to nod, "Thank you. I don't know how to repay you."

The stranger gave her a sad smile, "Live. That is the only payment I require." And with that, they were gone. 

Teresa hurried to the stairs as well, not seeing her associate as she began to climb. She made a decent pace, wanting only to appear as if she had been taking a walk. Ava had recommended it anyways, and with plenty of witnesses around to prove it. Teresa exited onto level 4, once again entering the pristine white walls. The knowledge that freedom was so closer left her feeling even more claustrophobic than before. 

---

Gally felt the presence of someone unfamiliar behind him before he ever heard their footsteps. Perks of living three years in the maze he supposed, he could feel danger like a sixth sense. Without a second thought Gally pulled his gun and turned to face whoever was following him, finger resting comfortably on the trigger. 

He was not at all expecting who was staring back at him.

"The hell do you want?" Gally threatened.

The stranger raised their hands in a sign of surrender, "To talk. You're planning to break Thomas and Teresa out, correct?"

Gally gave no notice whether the question was true or false, just continued to stare silently.

The stranger sighed, "I have a plan. Any couldn't you use someone on the inside anyways?"

Gally considered for a moment. Then, he tilted his head to the right, "Walk," he ordered.

The stranger obeyed.

---

The only blind spot Teresa had discovered was in the turn of a hallway. It was perhaps the only two feet of space that was not under surveillance in the facility. Well, perhaps the closets didn't have cameras, but Teresa hadn't taken the time to search each one.

Even if most of the guards went to where the bomb was placed, they would still have the problem of security cameras and the people assigned to watching them. If anyone saw the star prisoner being assisted by the woman he had a child with, (and she was was sure everyone know her baby's parentage by now) there was no doubt they would send  someone to check up on the situation. What she really needed was for Gally and the others to impersonate guards like they had in the last city. That way, they could say they had orders to move him from one wing to the other and possibly hold off suspicion long enough to get out.

Teresa jumped up, hoping to find some way to contact her new helper, but felt an odd sensation in her stomach. She braced herself against a chair as a cramp of pain hit her, before feeling like water was rushing out of her. She looked down to see a stain on her pants and water like substance on the floor beneath her.

She was in labor. 

---