Part 5

Three months later

Thomas was laid on the table, like he was every day. Tubes and wires and an electrode cap to monitor brain activity was hooked up to him like normal. He had fought only once, and when Teresa was threatened he had given them all the blood and guts they wanted. 

Every day was the same.

He woke up when the lights in the gray room clicked on, ate the disgusting ration crackers they gave him, then waited for the guards to come and retrieve him. From there he was taken to the same torture chamber they always did. The largest team of doctors he had ever seen in his life hooked him up to machines and ran test after test. Thomas assumed they were trying to turn his blood into a kind of cure, but if his blood alone had cured Brenda why did they need to mix it with something else? After the hours of tests and serums they pumped into him he would go back to the cell, eat more rations, take a shower if he had the strength, and then go to bed once the lights clicked off.

Sometimes Janson would come by to torture him with all the ways he had hunted down his friends and killed them. He touched on Newt, Chuck, everyone really. He bashed Teresa as well, but around that time Thomas always tuned out his haggly voice with good memories. 

Laughing with Newt over the glade garden; listening to one of Chucks long rants; Minho teasing him over wanting so badly to be a runner. And Teresa. Always teresa. She was everywhere is his escape daydreams. Smiling at him over some forgotten joke. Asking questions about the glade, comforting him over Chuck's death, kissing him for the first time, loving him. The hundreds of quiet glances and looks she had given him after that night. 

But when Janson came by to torture him, Ava Paige usually showed up a day or two later. She talked to him about everything and nothing, though mostly Teresa. She would tell him about how the baby was doing, every now and then showing him the latest sonogram. Ava was an odd woman. She truly believed in WICKED, but did not agree with all of their methods. When Thomas asked a question about what they were doing with his blood, she usually answered him. Lots of it was medical mumbo jumbo he didn't understand anyway but it was still nice to have the information. 

"Would you like to know the sex?" She asked him one particular day. "We were able to identify it from the last exam."

Thomas considered. "Did Teresa find out?"

"She did not."

"Then no thanks."

-----

Thomas hadn't seen Teresa since the first interrogation three months ago. He kept wondering what she looked like, if the baby had kicked yet. Maybe the morning sickness had passed by now or she was peeing every fifteen minutes. He wanted to know everything about anything. He wanted to be next to her at every moment of every day. He wanted to make her laugh and hear her complain about Janson. 

He was laying on the lumpy mattress, looking at the sonogram picture, when the door slammed open. He shot up, even as slow as he could manage, lights weren't meant to go off for at least another ten minutes. 

Janson's face came into view after the guards. Of course, Thomas thought, just what I need right now.

"Stand up," Janson ordered. Thomas didn't move. He signaled to the guards. "For what scum you are, we're taking you to your baby mama. At least try be act grateful." 

They dragged him through the halls. So many twists and turns were taken that Thomas barely knew where he was. Why would they take him to see Teresa? After all, they had done everything so far to make sure he was compliant, letting him see her wasn't something that would be beneficial to them.