༺ ~ 001 ~༻

Percabeth 

Percabeth is the het ship between Percy Jackson and

 Annabeth Chase from the Camp Half-Blood Chronicles fandom.

Rating - 4/10 ; cliché, boring, and kind of toxic. the stans are ANNOYING and they will bully and send death threats at anyone who ship Percy or Annabeth with anyone else. Both of them are toxic. 

Percy  - I'm sorry, but the way Percy narrates Annabeth showing any kind of feminity tells me all I need to know about the inherent misogyny Rick has. Like, just look at this passage:

"Worst of all, she was wearing makeup, which I never thought Annabeth would be caught dead in ... [There] was ... something totally wrong about it. It just wasn't Annabeth."

Annabeth is comfortable. She had no issues coming into this room all dressed up where she assumed Percy would be. She's confident in herself and the way she looks. Obviously, when she's on a quest, her first thought isn't going to be, "does my hair look good?" or "are my clothes cute?" because priorities. But, literally all through out the series, whenever Annabeth is relatively safe, she's shown to indulge in her femininity. So why in the hell is Percy out here talking about it? What is the problem, sir? [ twinsarekeepers on tumblr ]

-

Y'all be like 'Percy's going to be a great big brother!' Meanwhile I'm over here like,, how?? Where's the evidence ?? He was legit shit to nico, a 10 year old boy ,, um am I the only one who read the books?? Like he berated nico in his head for looking ridiculous in armor, couldn't stand or have patience for questions from him, and hesitated to talk to him in fear he'd have to listen to mythomagic again, (when he only knew him for 2/3 days?? Like?? How much time do you think this boy has for you Percy geez??) I mean he ridiculed an excited ten year old boy, knowing full on half-bloods already have it bad. (see: HIMSELF) like who does 13 year old Percy think he is ?? So how do you think he's going to act when he has his baby sister? I mean yeah people change, (but this is also the boy who's so ignorant he thinks nico had a crush on his gf) but how much can he?? Like- Percy will 10/10 be annoyed hearing this little baby scream for hours on end because her mom isnt home, and he has to babysit her. Just where are you getting this great info that Percy changes right away? And that he won't leave first chance he gets to go to new Rome with annabeth (see: LEGIT WHOLE SERIES) but then again who wouldn't drop everything for annabeth like

-

The fact that Percy was named Praetor after only being in Camp Jupiter a couple of days shows how much Rick overrates him. The fact that Percy could go 1-on-1 against a son of Jupiter who's been training without rest for +10 years when Percy only trained for summers in 4 years shows how much he overpowers him. The fact that 5 characters (Nico, Rachel, Annabeth, Reyna, Calypso, hell even Hazel and Piper that say he isn't their type, say that he's hot) I'm sorry but that makes him too perfect! Rick overrates his main character to the point I see him as a Gary Stu, I never think he's in danger because his writer made him almighty and umbeatable, so flawless that even all the gods agreed to make him a deity once (Seriously?) Oh, of course, the fact that the freakin' OLYMPIANS decided to make Percy, a freakin' 15 years kid, a DEITY. I'm sorry but at least in mythology, Dionysus was made a god after his adulthood, and Heracles needed to suffer hell and later to burn himself in order to be a god, I'm sorry, but no, that's poor writing, no chance in Hell the 12 Olympians would offer that to a child. The fact that PJO fandom wrongly thinks Percy could beat Achilles or Heracles shows how much his overrating of his character affected his readers.

annabeth - i think putting my finger on the fact that annabeth has ultimately not grown or matured as a person throughout either series and is still the same bratty and immature person she was when she was 12 years old was good because it explains all of my issues with her character, and in turn, percabeth.

to start, all of my issues, like i said, stem from the fact annabeth simply does not grow or mature. i constantly see the fact she's a traumatized teen used in defense of this fact when... no. that just doesn't work, not from a real life or writing standpoint. look at percy, for example, he's also a traumatized teen. at his core, he is, of course, the same person he was in the beginning of pjo. but he's changed and grown. key aspects of who you are won't change but you can still grow and mature as a person. percy has done that. the opposite to percy, annabeth still behaves the Exact same as she did when she was young.

you can't pinpoint important growths in character because they aren't there. they just aren't. people worshiped the bratty and entitled annabeth that was in the original books (for whatever reason), so rick never bothered to change it. don't change what makes you money, right?

in not changing annabeth and continuing to write her as controlling, entitled and frankly, toxic, rick has played a major role in the downfall of percabeth. while yes, it's still popular and hasn't had a downfall within the fandom, that doesn't mean it's good or healthy— hence it's downfall with how it's handled.

in order to keep annabeth how she was, he had to sacrifice parts of percy's character and growth in the heroes of olympus. we see this most notably in percy's handling of annabeth always calling him "seaweed brain." in pjo, he remarks that he doesn't like it, he's only grown used to it. he also says that it still bothers him, despite that. which is why he likes rachel more than annabeth. because she isn't like that. he also doesn't have to walk on eggshells around rachel, either. in heroes of olympus, percy suddenly loves when she insults him and loves when she gets physical with him.

this is not consistent with percy in pjo. not only does it not work because the change was never shown, it just... happened, but it also doesn't work because it absolves annabeth from the responsibility of it. it hurt percy and it made him uncomfortable around annabeth. annabeth will never be held accountable for that and it will never be addressed. if this relationship were healthy and were handled correctly by rick, this issue would involve communication.

rick consistently sacrifices parts of percy's character to put annabeth and percabeth on a pedestal. it's a massive issue, and unfortunately one most of the fandom will never acknowledge and will be aggressively and angrily against acknowledging. after all, percabeth and annabeth are so perfect! /s [ kingoftraddgedies on tumblr ]

-

It dawned on me that she knew I'd been hanging out with Rachel, and I felt guilty. Then I felt angry that I felt guilty. I was allowed to have friends outside camp, right?

Yes you are, and if Annabeth can't exept that (ㆆ_ㆆ) [ ghostfire358 on tumblr ]

-

Anonymous asked:

Honest question what did annabeth even do in the series? She didn't even seem to plan for war didn't she use her brothers plan?

reply by callonpeevsie on tumblr-  I don't remember the details of what happened so I don't know if I can exactly answer your question, but going off what I remember in general, Annabeth's importance and her famous intelligence sometimes came off as "tell don't show" to me. We are told all the time that she's so competent and intelligent but compared to that, I don't remember seeing it much. What did she even do? And if I'm honest she didn't seem *that* remarkably intelligent to me, as least not for a daughter of Athena™. Maybe knowledgeable at best. I feel like her writing is highkey lazy at this point, she barely even gets any character development ffs. 

--

so, my overall feeling on this ship -

it's fine i suppose but it's toxic? idk there's nostalgia behind my feelings towards percabeth, but it's not my favourite and it's not really that interesting in HoO

5/10