chapter one

TW: child abductions, mention and usage of guns, mild language, police presence

what fresh hell, part one of two.

" hell is empty and all the devils are here. " - william shakespeare

-

Genevieve balanced the box of her things on her hip as she walked through the open elevators. She wasn't usually a nervous person, but she was about to meet some of the best in the Bureau, if not the country, and her spot on the team was entirely reliant on whether they felt the was a fit for the team or not - the BAU was a small, tightly-knit group of elite field agents of high intelligence, and she's had her heart set on being a member of that team since she joined the agency.

"Um, hi," A friendly voice came from behind her, making her turn around suddenly. "Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to scare you," It was a short, slight blonde woman, dressed in a textured pink blazer, and a black pencil skirt.

"No, that's alright. I should've been paying attention," Genevieve laughed it off, shaking her head. "I'm Genevieve-"

"Taylor, the new BAU profiler?" The woman finished, her eyes squinting in hope that her guess was right. As Genevieve nodded, she smiled and extended her hand. "Jennifer Jareau, although the team calls me JJ. I'm the unit liaison, I handle communications with the police departments and the team,"

"Well, nice to meet, you JJ," Genevieve said, shaking her hand.

"We've actually got a few minutes till our briefing, if you want to come in and meet the team before?" She said, gesturing to the door with her thumb.

"Yeah, that'd be great, let's go," The brunette responded, plastering a friendly but tight smile on her face.

"Alright, meeting them is a little intimidating, but Hotch seemed pretty confident that you'd fit right in, so just be yourself off the bat, and don't let the guys walk all over you, not that you really look the type," The blonde said, doing a once over of Gevevieve's outfit as she pushed the glass door open. The brunette did have to admit, her scuffed leather jacket, black tank top, black jeans, and heeled boots did contrast JJ's much more approachable outfit, but, it was alright. A little bit of black never hurt anyone.

JJ strode over to a desk where three people - one tall, muscular dark-skinned man with buzzed hair and a goatee, one tall and lanky man with shaggy brown hair who was noticeably younger than the rest (who looked extremely familiar to her), and one slim but still toned brunette woman - were crowded around.

"Hey, JJ," The woman said, lifting her head up from whatever the three were looking at. "Oh. Who's this?" She said, her eyes wandering over to where Genevieve stood.

"This is the new member of the team - SSA Genevieve Taylor," JJ said, holding a hand up to pat her on the shoulder. At the sound of her name, one of the men looked up and froze. "Genevieve, these are SSAs Elle Greenaway, and Derek Morgan," The woman smiled and nodded at her, and the taller of the two men reached forward to shake her hand. He winked at her as they met eyes, and she smiled tightly back, getting a good idea of how this guy was already. "And Doctor Spencer Reid,"

At the sound of the last name, Genevieve's head whipped over to stare at the second man in horror. Her mouth dropped a little, and she seemed to be at a loss for words. Spencer didn't seem all that thrilled to see her either, his jaw set and his lips pressed into a hard, firm line.

"You guys know each other?" Derek asked, as JJ, Elle, and himself stared between the two, noticing the palpable tension.

"Yeah," Spencer said unenthusiastically, placing the pen he was fiddling onto the desk with unnecessary force. Genevieve winced, averting her gaze from him, and bit her lips anxiously, feeling the stares of Derek, Elle, JJ, and Spencer on her. "Yeah, Genevieve is my older sister,"