chapter five

TW: murder, mention and feature of a serial killer, graphic descriptions of crime scenes, mention and usage of guns, mild language, police presence.

family issues, part one of two.

" a sibling is the lens through which you see your childhood " - ann hood.

-

Genevieve had been struggling to try and make amends with Spencer. She had attempted to ask him to brunch a few times to talk things over, but he had just declined her request. She had bought him the book that they used to read together as kids - The Poems of T'ao Ch'ien - and left it in his bag, but a day later, she found it in the drawer of her desk. She had left him dozens of voice messages, begging him to just hear her out, and let her apologise, but not a single one had been returned.

She tried to shove the thought from her mind as she sipped on a mimosa from the table, feigning a laugh at whatever feeble joke JJ had made. In an attempt to properly induct her into the team, Garcia had planned a girl's brunch on the team's day off. The four women sat around a long table that was piled with food so pretty that no one wanted to eat it.

"So, it looks like you've caught Morgan's eye, Gen," JJ said teasingly as she dug into her dish.

"A tree could catch Derek's eye if it looked at him right," Genevieve took a jab at their co-worker, rolling her eyes, and causing all of them to laugh.

"So you admit you looked at him," Elle caught, raising her eyebrows suggestively, taking a sip from her drink.

"I mean-"

"Aw she's blushing," Garcia squealed, pointing as Genevieve grew steadily more flustered.

"No, I'm not. I mean, he's not terrible to look at-" The brunette tried to cover up her bad wording.

"Oh the contrary, my love. That man is a god," Garcia corrected, shaking her head pensively.

"And I'm not into guys I work with," She said, rolling her eyes. "Figured that one out the hard way,"

"Oh?" JJ asked curiously. Genevieve noticed Elle and Garcia perk up too, eager to hear the drama.

"It's nothing interesting," She fibbed. "Just some guy on my old Green Beret unit. He wasn't ready to put us before the job, and I had already been discharged, so it just fizzled from there,"

"Anyway, I heard Hotch talking about-" JJ said, sensing that Genevieve didn't really want to press the subject.

"Nuh-uh," Elle shook her head. "No work talk. I don't want to hear about Hotch or Gideon, or anyone-"

"You sure about that?" JJ groaned, as all four women's phones rang in unison.

"Speak of the devil," Genevieve muttered, as they all stared at the identical texts they got from Hotch.

Roundtable. 30 minutes.

+++

"You ladies have a mothers group meeting or something?" Derek looked up from his conversation with Spencer as Genevieve, Elle, and JJ all trudged into the conference room. Garcia had already holed up in her bunker, leaving the three to dejectedly make their way to the meeting, silently cursing the unreasonably long hours of their job.

"And what about it?" Elle asked snappily. "There was a very cute bartender serving us up mimosas who's probably serving up some other group of brunching women now that we're gone,"