Chapter 21

"So," I looked up from where I had been laying on my bed, after getting back to our room I changed into short shorts and a baggy sweater. "What happened at the ball ?" Vicky was sitting at the end of my bed, giving me concerned looks.

"I saw Archer," Vicky gasped. "I also saw everyone else," I avoided eye contact. "Damien is dead."

"What ?" A few tears fell down Vicky's face.

"Damien is dead, everyone else is safe, but Archer's face as I walked away.." I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked up to Vicky, trying to keep the tears at bay. "I tried to stop it but I was too late to act."

"What are we going to do ?" Nadia, who hadn't spoken since I got back and was sitting at the kitchen counter drinking blood, had stood up and walked over to us with a scared expression but her voice showed no fear. "Wait for us to be next ? Because the longer we stay here the closer we are to death."

"I know that!" I stood up and squared her up. "I know better then anyone that we are just waiting for death because it's my death sentence we are here for!"

"Which is why you're going to leave! You will end up saving yourself before even considering us!" That alone made my anger grow.

"I will do what I need to just to see you two live so don't you dare tell me I'd put myself before you two, I would die and suffer everything I did a million times over if it meant you two would get to live and you know it!" Her silence just proved my point. "I know you're scared, but don't take it out on me."

"I'm sorry, it's just... Every time I fall asleep now I'm scared to wake up and face everything," I gave her a hug and held her as she cried.

"I know, and I promise that I will get you out of here," I pulled back and looked at the two girls. Both had their lives taken away from them so young, and now because of me were fearing for their lives every moment of the day, I had to get them out of here, no matter the consequences. "Get the stakes, I'm gonna teach you a few moves and ways to use the weapons."

They ran over to their beds and pulled out their duffle bags, they each grabbed a stake and walked over to me, I showed them how to get into a fighting stance. I started with Vicky on offence and Nadia on defence, I showed Vic how to pin Nadia and how to get a good shot at her heart, when I was sure they had it I stood on the side lines watching.

"Wrong, try again," I ordered as Nadia managed to throw Vicky to the floor. "Aim up, don't go for the obvious blow, aim for the less likely blow before attacking."

"Got it," Vicky tried again and failed, again. "Not got it."

"Okay, watch what I do," I took her place and circled Nadia. "Nad, you ready ?"

"Yeah," I ran and attacked, Nadia grabbed my hand as I attacked, I twisted her own arm against her and hit my target, her chest.

"Try it," I threw the stake back to Vicky and watched as they attempted it again, this time successful. "Well done, switch places."

"Yes sir," Vicky gave me a mock salute, before getting in a defence position.

"Go," I watched as they started sparring again. A thought came to mind, what if I asked Stefan to train Vicky and Nadia too ? As soon as the thought came to my mind I dismissed it immediately, I doubted that he would be training anytime soon. "That feeling, the one of altruism, it will ultimately be your end," echoing in my head. I would not let him get to me, I was getting out of here, with the girls, back to Raine, back to Hunter, back to Tyler, and back to Archer.

After a few hours they had made some improvement but were sore so now we were sitting on my bed eating ice cream, Vicky had put on some film I think it was Home Alone, but I wasn't thinking about it too much.

"So..." Nadia approached the subject carefully. "What are we going to do ? Like when are we going to do something ?"

"Well for starters we are going to do nothing," I shoved a spoonful of ice cream in my mouth.

"WHAT ?" They screeched in unison.

"Right now, Stefan is suspicious of me since the ball, if we pull anything he'll catch us straight away, we can last a few more weeks, after that we will get out."

"So what do we do now then ?" Vicky finished the last of her Ice Cream.

"We sleep and hope that we get out alive," I didn't want to lie to her, if anything there was a good chance I would end up dead by the end of this but I would make sure they were safe first. They both got comfortable on my bed and laid down as I started to sing them to sleep.

"Let's take a better look
Beyond a story book
And learn our souls are all we own
Before we turn to stone,"

I stroked Vicky's hair as I sang the lyrics.

"Let's go to sleep with clearer heads
And hearts too big to fit our beds
And maybe we won't feel so alone
Before we turn to stone,"

I rocked slightly side to side.

 "And if you wait for someone else's hand,
 Then you will surely fall down
 And if you wait for someone else's hand,
 You'll fall, you'll fall,"

I smiled as I thought about how lucky I was to find friends as good as these two, despite the circumstances.

"I know that I am nothing new
There's so much more than me and you
But brother, how we must atone
Before we turn to stone,"

I heard Nadia's shallow breaths and realized she was asleep so pulled the blanket up over her.

"And brother, how we must atone
Before we turn to stone
Before we turn to stone,"

"Goodnight Avalon," Vicky snuggled into the blanket.

"Night Vic," I got comfortable and pulled my blanket up. "I promise I will get you two out of here, no matter what."

"I know, I don't doubt you will, and that's what scares me," She reached out and grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. "I'm scared that you'll kill yourself trying to keep us safe."

"I'll keep you safe, I promise," I wasn't going to lie and say I won't die because I most likely will. We fell asleep shortly after.