¤Chapter 37¤

¤Chapter Thirty-Seven¤ 

My bike's going so fast, everything is a mere blur around me.

Who the hell does Todd think he is? Threatening me is one thing but involving the people that are important to me is too far. My initial goal was to create a strong reputation for myself to the point where I could eventually confront him but at some point that stopped being important. Although I'm occasionally forced to recall unwanted memories from the past, his presence in my life began fading. I forgot my feelings of revenge and hate but now it's back and stronger than it's ever been.

If I was like this all along, I would have noticed things. The footsteps at the beach? It could've been nothing or it could've been someone tailing me. I should have looked into it. The shadow I noticed across the street? I should have kept watching to see if it moved again but instead I let unnecessary feelings get in the way. Brittney was right, I've gotten soft. Too soft. Realizing this now is a blessing and a curse altogether.

"Madi!" Mom rushes out to greet meet as soon as I pull into the driveway. She's wearing a white lab coat over blue scrubs and rectangular glasses cover tired looking eyes. "Back so soon?"

"Not now mom," I walk past her in a hurry. "I'm changing then heading out again."

My stupidity ends tonight.

Dad looks up from his tablet when I enter the living room. "You're angry." He noted calmly.  "Too angry."

I glare at him. I don't have time for any of his mind reading lessons right now. "Well my boyfriend has just been kidnapped by my psycho ex so forgive me for being tense, okay?"

He sets the tablet down, still calm but his aura changes. "Todd's back? Do you know where he is?"

I frown. That's partially why I came home. I don't really know where to look. "No, but I'll find out somehow"

Mom exchanges a look with dad and sighs. "I guess she finally gets to wear it after all"

"I'm going" I mutter and make my way upstairs, ignoring the questions I have for them. It seems I've had nothing but questions these last few weeks. 

The dull room that used be comforting to me feels suffocating now. My eyes travel to the nightstand where bright roses and a couple picture from a few days ago taunts me. If I knew how fleeting the moment would be I'd enjoy it more. I would have snapped more pictures and stolen more firsts. It hurts to think I may never experience that again. 

I hastily rummage through my closet for a few minutes until I find the black garment bag hanging in the back. Steady fingers slide across the smooth faux leather jumpsuit cocooned within. It reminds me of when I first became Madi. Back then I told dad I'd like to be exactly like him. 

He's a well known guard that always has people waiting for him. Many clients willingly change their schedules just so he can do the job and not someone else. I yearned for that kind of respect. Thanks to him, I was able to become strong and resilient. 

I was lectured on the basics of fighting when I was little but they were nothing compared to the summer I decided to be a changed woman. For a few months I struggled through a crash course on combat and sensory skills. It was more hands on than the lessons from my childhood but sheer anger and determination got me through it. 

Once I 'graduated' dad commissioned a custom made jumpsuit for me —just like the ones badass female characters wear in action movies. I didn't smile but it made me happy and he could tell. Mom thought it was absurd because I would never get the chance to wear it since it's not like I can sport this at the local diner.