epilogue | faustian

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ 

THE day after a storm was always the most beautiful sight. The sky was a clean blue, scattered clouds had not yet dreaded their muddy feet through the atmosphere. The sun was at a perfect spot in the sky, shining its warmth down on the now together ThunderClan.

The leader sat in the tall grasses, resting beneath the golden sun. He was happy now that his Clan was filled with joyous laughter, the sweet trickle of talking, and the rumble of new kits. Webstar's poor reign was over, the storm had ended and now the heavens were clear. The ashy clouds made way for the new era to shine.

However, Hollowstar still found himself searching the shrub entrance in hopes of one's return. It was wrong of him. He knew she would never be coming back- he wasn't supposed to want her back. Though he felt like a different cat, his heart still sang the same melancholy rhythm. She was in his mind constantly. She lived in the silence between his thoughts; that she-cat had buried a home for herself in his head.

Hollowstar liked to dream. Somewhere, out in another universe, they were happily together. Hollowstar could see them now: they were living in a sun-struck field full of sweeping flowers. There were so many colors; crying violets, bleeding roses, white-flagged lilies, dangerous dandelions- anything that reminded him of her. They would be alone, only in the company of their newborn kits. They would have two or three. One kit would have Larkmoon's big, chocolate eyes and she would be named Redkit, after their dearest Redpaw. When he wasn't busy, Hollowhawk would often escape to this world he had created. He liked to think that it was the ending.

"Hollowstar! Hollowstar!" The high-pitched squeak of kits broke his silence. The large leader looked around and at once spotted the herd of kits galloping towards him. They were his mentor's newborns, all jittering with the warmth of new life. Their patient mother, Sandyrose, followed behind at a slower pace, beaming with a big smile.

Hollowstar mimicked her expression, "Oh, my favorite kits!" He grunted as they all tackled him at once, their light chirps and giggles singing to the soft air. "What do you need?"

A single kit gathered his strength and rose forward. He was the same shade of his mother, colored in the tone of an unexplored desert. Hollowstar could see it now, something great laid hidden beneath his coat. "Tell us a story, Hollowstar!" He mewed, bouncing up and down, bursting in excitement. "Mother said you have the best stories."

Hollowstar shot Sandyrose a sneaky look while shaking his head in uncertainty. "I don't know-"

"Oh please," Another kit begged. She was a darker shade of ginger, almost a soil brown. She had flowers growing in her eyes, she was something sweet and delicate. "We want to hear a leader's story!" She gazed at Hollowstar with her blossoming eyes, pulling him into her alluring garden.

Still seeing Hollowstar's doubt shake in his head, all together the litter chimed in, "Please, please, please!" They pranced around him like deer, bubbling in adolescent energy.

Finally, Hollowstar let out a long sigh. "Very well then, gather around." The litter of differently shaded ginger kittens all hurriedly took a seat. They looked up to Hollowstar with glistering, bright eyes, drooling for any words he would speak.

Hollowstar let his focus wander to the camp's entrance again. His eyes tunneled down the shrubbery shaft and he could feel his memories rip on the thorny thickets. It was where he saw her last. "Once upon a time," He began, still not taking his eyes away from the sunlit burrow. "There was a she-cat named Larkmoon and she was a faustian to escape death."

The End. 

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀