Chapter Twelve

Janet POV

"Cancer?" I croaked.

My eyes watered. I couldn't think of her having cancer.

Mama Shakur sighed. "I have breast cancer. I first had it in 2010. I didn't tell Amaru nor did I tell anyone else. I didn't want y'all to stress it. I did my chemotherapy and fought it and it was gone by 2013. But started having the symptoms I had before and the lump was there."

I sighed as I wiped my tears. How in the hell did she hide this for five years? But the fact that Amaru doesn't know didn't surprise me.

"This time I think you need the surgery. We can remove the tumor. But you might not have your left breast." Dr. Pong informed.

"Oh Lawd." Mama Shakur sighed.

More tears fell. It felt like I was going to lose my mother. I knew this women since Middle School. She was more of my mother than my own mother was.

"But, we can always reconstruct it." Dr. Pong said reassuringly.

"So like a fake breast?" I asked.

"If you see it that way." She said.

"We've had women older than Ms.Shakur have their breast taken by cancer and they've walked out with new breast and you would've never known it wasn't their own. Their breast were even perkier." She said.

Mama Shakur smiled. "Good. Cause I need my girls. I can't pull in my men with only one breast. That ain't sexy."

I couldn't help but laugh. Dr.Pong joined in. I was glad to hear that.

"So are you going with the surgery?" Dr.Pong asked.

Mama nodded.

"Okay, we're going to have that tumor out and you won't have to worry about it." Dr. Pong smiled.

She went over the whole thing with us. She told us how the breast reconstruction was going to work and everything. I could tell Mama was excited about getting her breast done . She wasn't worried about the cancer at all.

I guess that's a good thing. She's keeping her mind off if it.

The car ride was silent. But it wasn't uncomfortable. It was peaceful. I knew she felt a little better because she finally told someone.

"Please don't tell Amaru. I don't need him going around being all worried and upset." She asked.

I nodded. "I wasn't going to tell him. I know you want to be the one to do that."

"Is that why you wanted me to get pregnant?" I asked.

She nodded. "I knew the cancer was back and I didn't think I was going to make it. So I wanted to live long enough to see my grand baby."

"You shouldn't think like that Mama Shakur." I shook my head.

"I know baby."

I stopped in the driveway in front of her house.

"Thank you for the ride Janet." She smiled.

"No problem. I'm gone be checking up on you." I told her.

"I know. Tell my knuckle head of a son to come see his mama."

I nodded and waited until she was in the house to pull off.

************

I walked in the house and heard music. It was Atwon- Good morning to you.

I walked in the living room and saw Amaru in his boxers and socks dancing.

"Good morning to you! The birds are chirping." He sang. He made the bird sound.

I silently died. It was so damn funny. I pulled out my phone and recorded him.

He did shmoney dance and everything. I ain't gone lie. My baby had moves.

He started to crip walked and spun around. He suddenly stopped when he saw me.

"I'm putting this shit on Instagram." I laughed.

"Quit fucking playin. Don't put this shit on Instagram." He said seriously.

"Watch me." I said and ran off upstairs.

"Janet!" He yelled as he ran after me.I ran into the room and slid under the bed. I could see his feet as he ran in.

I put my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing.

"Janet I ain't fuckin playing." he said as he searched for me.

I pulled out my phone and went on Instagram I uploaded the video and quickly deleted the video from my photo gallery.

I put my phone back in my pocket and watched as he walked in the bathroom. "Janet!" He yelled.

I crawled from under the bed and quickly laid down with my back against the headboard.

He walked out the bathroom and stopped when he saw me.

"You posted that shit ain't it?" He asked.

I shook my head trying not to laugh.

"We'll see." he mumbled as he pulled out his phone.

I quickly walked towards the door and out the room. I was almost to the stairs.

"JANET!"

I laughed and started running.

*********
Scene!

I hope you enjoyed.