Chapter 2: Housemates

When we arrive at the lake house, I have to admit that the view is really nice.

I even see a turtle swim up to the shore and poke it's little head out.

The lilies are fully opened and the lily pads cover the rim of the lake. The house looks nice too. Dad said that we have to bring our own water because the lake water isn't water that we drink. We can still wash our hands and take showers in it, just no drinking.

We enter the house and walk to the other end. There is a glass door that leads out to a huge porch with tables and chairs. The view of the lake is beautiful!

Still, a pretty view isn't going to make up for the rest of my ruined summer.

We unload our fishing poles, that Dylan insisted we buy, and life jackets onto the porch.

We are still unpacking our suitcases and food when the family who is staying with us gets here.

"Azalea, Dylan, Lav, let's go greet our new housemates," Dad says as we head out the door to their grey minivan.

I spot a man and a woman unloading totes from their car.

"Hello, I am Dan Devarson. This is my wife, Lavender, my daughter, Azalea, and my son, Dylan. Nice to meet you!" My dad says as he extends his hand to a guy wearing a plaid button-down shirt and jeans. He shakes it.

"I'm Tom Graves. This is my wife, Narcissa, and my son, Jay." When he introduces his son, he gestures towards a boy unloading some luggage from the trunk. I didn't notice him earlier, but I can't see how I could have missed someone so...hot.

He smiles at me. I smile back.

He looks about my age, and seems pretty friendly.

"I'm Jay," the hot guy says, extending a muscular arm.

I can't help but stare.

Is he expecting me to take it?

Of course he is!

I must have hesitated too long because he lowers his arm and purses his lips.

Oops.

"Azalea," I say, extending my arm, hoping he will take it. He does, and I practically melt. "But my friends call me Azzy."

"Well I hope I qualify to call you Azzy," he says with a wink.

I almost die.

Is he asking to be my friend?

'Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!!!' I want to scream, but I know better than that.

"Yeah. You can call me Azzy," I say with a smile.

He flashes me a smile of his own.

I melt. Right there, into a puddle.

Not literally, but I sure feel like it.

I help Jay and his family unpack their stuff. We stock the fridge and freezer.

"So?" My dad asks, "Anyone up for a swim?" Everyone except Mrs. Graves agrees.

I don't see how Dad can even think about swimming when we haven't even fully unpacked, but I kinda want to go in the water anyway.

The rest of us get our bathing suits on.

I am wearing a red bikini, Dylan has on blue swim trunks with palm tree print, mom has on one piece that says 'fun in the sun', dad has on swim trunks with red and black stripes, and Mr. Graves has on plain black swim trunks.