Chapter 1: Zander

"She's my mate," I said again, a little louder this time, pointing to the human standing by a car. 

Averie looked shocked and I'd never seen Kane speechless, at least not with anything that didn't have to do with his mate.

Looking at her, I could smell her scent, jasmine and vanilla, and it was enticing, making my mouth water.

"She's human," Kane whispered.

"Shit," Carter mumbled. 

"Oh Goddess," Averie said.

That's when I saw what she saw. My beautiful mate with her wave of curly brown hair, and her heavy, full figure, turned.

Pregnant.

My mate was pregnant.

Suddenly, Kane was in front of me. "Do you have James under control?" He asked.

Human mates were complicated at best, terrifying at worst. They could feel the mate bond, but they couldn't understand it. Most of the rejections that happened were because of human mates.

Claim her! James shouted at me. He'd been waiting for a mate as long as I had, longer technically since he'd been waiting since he'd been on the wolves's first plain with the goddess.

We can't. I argued. She's pregnant.

I'd never felt James so angry in my entire life. It took more effort than it ever had to keep him at bay. My eyes glowed; I could feel it. The blue color would be close to aquamarine with him at the surface.

"Zander," Kane growled. There was only one time a wolf wouldn't submit to the will of their alpha, and that was if anything had to do with their mate. "Do you have your wolf under control?"

"Yes," I bit out. My fists clenched together and I dug my hands into my skin, my nails lengthening slightly into claws.

"Look at me." Turning my head, I lifted my eyes to his. "I have no idea what you must be feeling, but you need to keep it together. She's human and she's pregnant." I could only nod. I watched as she shut her car door and walked back into the diner, her little body waddling slightly because of her protruding stomach. "We will go, and we will sit and eat at the restaurant and learn everything we can about her. Understood?"

"Yes," I said.

"Let's go." Kane grabbed Averie's hand and pulled her towards the entrance. I lagged behind a little, attempting to slow my breathing while Carter gave me a sympathetic look.

What were the odds that I'd been searing for her for months, travelling all over the country to every pack we knew of and even finding a few that we'd never heard of only to come back and have her be here, hiding under my nose the entire time. But that wasn't quite true either. She was the only human around. Did she already know about us? Or had it just been the Goddesses's work getting her here. The child she was carrying wasn't a wolf, that much I could tell.

Was she married? Engaged? Just seeing someone?

The irony of me being the one to wait for her to have sex wasn't lost on me. Averie had waited for Kane, but he'd been sleeping around while he waited for her. I'd looked down on him for it, but there I was with a human mate who clearly hadn't waited for me.

The human world is different. James said in my head. It seemed like he had himself under control. But sitting here in the diner with her scent so close was going to be torture for both of us.

Kane took in the surroundings of the diner, but I knew what he was doing; he was making sure we were going to sit where we'd have to get waited on by my mate. Once he found her, his eyes went to an empty table next to the one she was waiting on. I followed behind him and Averie, sitting opposite them in the booth, and sliding in next to Carter on the outside. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.