Chapter 4 - Heartache

The next morning, I woke to an incessant knocking sound. It took me several minutes for full consciousness to return, and for me to realize that the repetitive noise was someone knocking on the door.

I groaned and rolled over to grab my phone, wincing a bit as I realized I had a throbbing headache centered over my right temple. As my phone screen lit up, I caught only a glimpse of the time before I immediately flew out of bed and began rummaging through the room for something to put on.

I was late! On the first day! There was no way I'd ever let myself, or Zane, live this down.

"One second!" I yelled out as the knocking continued. I needed to atleast put some pants on before opening the door.

Once I slipped on a pair of sweatpants, I hurried over to the door and yanked it open to see a concerned Alpha Gavin standing on the other side.

I began apologizing profusely before he could even say a word.

"Alpha Gavin, I am so, so incredibly sorry! This is not my usual behavior, I promise. Just give me fifteen minutes to at least brush my teeth and put on some clean clothes," I pleaded.

Gavin chuckled and shook his head slightly, seeming amused, "No need to apologize, Skylar. In fact, I feel like I should be the one apologizing. You weren't bargaining for all of this when you agreed to come help my pack."

Fair enough. He did have a point.

I nodded, "Fifteen minutes, not a second more," I told him before closing the door, and then practically sprinting to the bathroom.

This truly had to be a personal record for me – I managed to brush my teeth and my hair, put on clean clothes, and wash my face within seven minutes. With the little time I had left, I pulled my hair up into my version of a not-so-messy, messy bun, and quickly applied some face powder and mascara. This would have to do for today.

I grabbed my purse and phone and then ran back to the door where I found Alpha Gavin still patiently waiting outside.

"With a minute to spare," he teased, glancing down at his watch.

He led me down the hallway to the opposite end of the pack house, making casual conversation along the way. He pointed out several historical photos on the walls along the way, proudly reciting facts about the Gold Wind pack.

"I would offer to take you to the dining hall for breakfast, but since we're running a little behind schedule, I could have someone bring you a quick breakfast while you're getting set up if you'd like," he told me.

I shook my head, "Maybe later. Right now, I think I just need a lot of water. Maybe a Gatorade."

Gavin chuckled, "That can also be arranged. You and Zane had a late night I'm assuming?"

I scoffed, "I wouldn't exactly call it that. More like, I don't drink alcohol very often but found it necessary to cope with him and this entire life-changing situation."

I wouldn't normally be so blunt or casual with an Alpha, but Gavin seemed pretty laid back and understanding, similar to Ryder in some ways.

Alpha Gavin full on laughed this time, "I can't say I blame you for that. I about did the same thing when he showed up in my pack unannounced."

Much to my delight, we made it out of the pack house and across the front lawn to the building where the school resided without running into Zane. I could feel my body instantly relax as we entered the building, knowing that I wouldn't have to deal with him for at least several more hours.

Gavin approached a young woman probably four years younger than me and waved me over, ready for introductions.

"Abigail, this is Skylar from the Moon Wave pack. She's here to help you all get set up for the upcoming school year," Gavin explained to her.