Chapter 7

"Emerale awoke the next morning to sun light shining through the trees. Well-rested, she decided to keep moving down the mountain."

It was Hermione's bedtime, again. After brushing their teeth, Hermione had settled under the covers with Pansy sitting on the edge of the bed beside her.

"Before long, there was no more snow on the ground beneath her feet. She'd reached the mountain's snow line. She heard chirps and whistles in the trees above her — songbirds. She'd always wanted to hear a songbird's music. Happily, she chirped back as she continued moving forward. Curious at this new voice, one brave little songbird flew down and landed on her snout.

"'What are you?' the songbird asked, 'How do you sing like that?'

"'I'm a dragon,' Emerale replied, 'That's the sound I make, little songbird. But I can fly, just like you. My name is Emerale.'" Pansy created different voices to help Hermione tell the characters apart.

"'I like your song, Emerale. I'm Melody. What are you doing on this part of the mountain?'

"'I'm on a quest to find humans. The Dragon Elders say they are a myth, but I believe they are real. I want to find one, just so I can know.'

"'Can I come with you? I have heard the same stories. I believe, too.'

"'I would enjoy the company, Melody.' The songbird fluttered into the air, turning and landing on the top of Emerale's head, facing forward. 

"'If you can fly, Emerale, why are you walking?' Melody asked, 'Walking is much slower.'

"'Well, I didn't get permission from the Elder Dragons to leave, so they will be searching for me. They will be scouting from the sky so it is too risky for me to fly, because they might see me and make me return home. So, even though it's slower, I will walk until I am completely off of the mountain.'

"The new companions continued their quiet chattering as they started on their journey together."

Hermione's eyes were fluttering closed again. 

"Good night, Mini."

--

Once again, it wasn't long before Hermione was immersed in a night terror. Pansy climbed into the bed with her, dodging her flying hands to gently confine the girl's arms to her torso, then laid a leg over her kicking legs to weigh them down.

Thinking about it earlier in the day, she'd considered just using a full body bind, but decided that it ultimately wasn't worth the risk. Unconscious movement — or attempted movement — while under a body bind worked differently than conscious movement. It was possible that Hermione's unconscious flailing from her night terrors would push against the magical binds.

Additionally, she now noticed that the air around them felt staticky, humid. Hermione's magic was reacting to the night terrors, too. Her untrained, but powerful, magic would make any magical remedy unlikely to work. Pansy made a mental note give Madam Pomfrey and Headmistress McGonagall an update in the morning.

For now, though, Pansy focused on trying to soothe Hermione as much as she could. After what seemed like ages, Hermione calmed down, rolling closer into Pansy's warm body. The teen couldn't make herself leave the girl alone in the bed, not when she was so clearly seeking some form of comfort. She loosened her hold, but remained in Hermione's bed with her arms around the girl.

--

Hermione woke Pansy up a few hours later as she started moving.

"Morning, Mini," Pansy murmured, still half asleep.