Chapter 9

Hermione decided that she loved potions. It fit the fun image of a witch that she was used to seeing, and it reminded her of cooking, which she loved to do with her dad.

She also liked to watch Harry and Draco teasing each other while Pansy urged them to work on their potion since Pansy was in their group now.

While Draco and Harry were distracted arguing, Hermione popped up in front of the cauldron, right next to Pansy. "Can I help?"

Pansy thought for a moment. Four-year-old Hermione would quite likely be more help than the boys currently were. "Sure, Mini. But you have to follow my instructions exactly, okay?" Hermione nodded. "You told me you help your dad cook. What do you normally do for him?"

"I help him get the stuff he needs ready to go in the pot."

Pansy instructed her through grinding and chopping the necessary ingredients. She was impressed with the girl's ability to successfully prepare the ingredients.

"You're good at that," Pansy whispered, nudging her softly.

"Yeah," Hermione said, concentrating on the ingredients in front of her. "Dad always wanted to be a chef, be he said being a dentist was better for a family. He was happy in the kitchen, though, and he wanted to teach the love of cooking to me from an early age, he said. I miss him. And mum."

"I know you do, Mini. I'm sorry you can't be with them right now."

Hermione stopped her work and to turn and give Pansy a smile. "It's okay. I really like it here with you."

A warm feeling bubbled up into her chest. "I like it with you here, too. But, Mini, I want you to know that it's okay to feel both, to miss your mum and dad and be happy here with me."

"Yeah, I know. Thank you, Pansy."  Hermione handed Pansy the final ingredient. After stirring counterclockwise 8 times, the potion was done.

Acting more like her older self than usual, Hermione turned to the still-teasing boys, hands on her hips and a stern look on her face. "Harry! Draco! The potion is done and you didn't do anything."

The duo in question looked properly chastised as Pansy patted the girl's shoulder in approval.

--

Hermione found Charms and Transfiguration fascinating, but was bored by the end of both classes. She wasn't allowed to use a wand — the Headmistress' rule, she knew, not Pansy's or even the professors'.

It wasn't that she didn't care about watching the magic; she loved it, actually. But after the fiftieth time she saw someone turn a teacup into a mouse, it became a little less interesting. 

After the last class of the day, she begged Pansy, Draco, and Harry to take her outside to play. She didn't have to beg very hard.

Insisting she teach the teens hopscotch, but failing to describe chalk accurately enough for Pansy to conjure it, Hermione gave Pansy specific instructions for what to draw on the pavement of the courtyard using magic.

Draco, despite his usual regal gracefulness, was ridiculously clumsy at hopscotch. After a few dramatic trips, Hermione and Pansy were laughing so hard they could barely stand. Harry grabbed Draco's bicep and gently pulled him away from the hopscotch outline, trying not to laugh.

"Stop, Draco, you're just embarrassing yourself," Harry told him, chuckling, "Stick to a broomstick, yeah?"

Hermione took her turn. Pansy loved seeing her so happy and free. The older Hermione never looked like that; between her academic brilliance and fighting in a war, she carried a seriousness about her that never quite went away.

Pansy was distracted from her thoughts by a small hand tugging her to the hopscotch boxes. "It's your turn!"

"Okay, okay! I'm coming," Pansy assured Hermione with a grin.

At that moment, Hermione's stomach gave a loud growl. She blushed.

"Let's head to dinner, instead." Pansy turned to the boys, who were sitting on a bench at the edge of the courtyard. "Come on, lovebirds! It's time to eat!"

--

Hermione didn't have night terrors that night; instead, she tossed and turned restlessly, her skin coated in sweat. She burned to the touch. Pansy didn't want to wake her, so she gently scooped the smaller girl in her arms and carried her bridal-style to the infirmary. After setting her gently on a nearby bed, Pansy knocked quietly, but urgently, on Madam Pomfrey's door.

A few minutes later, Madam Pomfrey opened the door, wrapped in a bathrobe.

"Ah, Ms. Parkinson. Is something wrong?"

"Hermione's sick. Feverish. I don't know what's wrong. She was fine when she went to sleep."

"Okay. Calm down. Where is she?" The nurse left her quarters, closing the door behind her.

"In that bed over there, two from the door. I carried her up here with me. I didn't want to leave her alone."

Madame Pomfrey hurried over to the girl. After casting several diagnostic spells, she faced the nervously pacing Pansy. "It's a flu. A nasty one, but just a flu nonetheless. I'll wake her up, give her the potions she needs, and put her back to sleep. She'll need to stay here for the day, but she'll be good as new tomorrow morning."

"And I can stay with her, right?"

The nurse stilled the nervous teenager with a hand to the shoulder. "Of course you can, dear."

Pansy settled into the chair next to Hermione's bed, grasping her clammy hand while Madame Pomfrey woke up Hermione.

"Wha's goin' on?" Hermione slurred drowsily."

"Hey, Mini," Pansy whispered. "You're sick, so I brought you to Madam Pomfrey. She'll make you all better, you just need to take the potions she gives you. Then you can go back to sleep and you'll be all better in the morning. Can you do that."

Hermione nodded, then looked up at Pansy. "You'll still sleep with me, though, right?"

Pansy didn't bother to wait for Madam Pomfrey's approval. The concern and the hope in Hermione's voice could not be told no. "Yeah, Mini. Don't worry."

Pansy waited while Hermione took her potions. As Madam Pomfrey turned to head back to her quarters for the night, Pansy climbed into the twin bed to lay with Hermione. "Go to sleep," she said softly. "I'll still be here when you wake up."

--

The next morning brought Draco, Harry, Neville, and Blaise barging into the infirmary. Pansy woke with a start.

"Shush!" she hissed.

"Aw, this is cute," Blaise said, looking at Pansy and Hermione snuggled in the bed together.

"Are the two of you okay?" Harry asked. "We couldn't find you anywhere this morning and Draco eventually suggested that you might have come here."

Pansy ran a hand over her tired face. "Hermione has a flu. I brought her here last night and Pomfrey gave her some potions. She'll be better tomorrow."

"And you?" Neville questioned seriously, "How are you holding up?"

"I'm... okay. I was worried last night, but now I'm just tired."

Neville nodded, understanding. "Do you want us to stay with you and Hermione? We could be moral support."

Pansy looked at him gratefully, "Would you? I'd really appreciate it."

The boys pulled extra chairs over to Hermione's bedside and settled in for the day.