8. A Shadowy Future

Angel was in a strange town. It looked a great deal like her hometown of Cerulean City, but, at the same time, it didn't. At first, she couldn't explain why it was different. But then she noticed the rundownness of buildings from her childhood, with their doors and windows shuttered closed. The streets that used to be full of joyful children and Pokémon were now empty. Now, the children huddled in dark corners, were filthy and needed food. All of them were alone, not taking solace in each other's company as if they feared even another child. Which, considering the naivete of children, was a strange sight. In fact, the only grown-ups she saw were very well-fed and dressed and loitered around the only two shiny, maintained buildings in town.

Everyone "better off" wore clothing or items that openly showed their allegiance to Team Rocket. Angel breathed a sigh of relief. At least the town would now be saved. They'd help the people here. Two children walked towards one of the adults. Their hands were open, most likely to beg for food or money. Instead of giving them some, as she expected, the Agent summoned a Pokémon, which made the children run off.

For a while, she just stared at the Pokémon she saw. It had an aura like a Shadow, but it was black instead of purple. And it didn't look like any Pokémon she'd ever seen before. It looked like it had been fused from several different Pokémon.

The sudden appearance of a Pokémon beside her caused her to jump, fearful that she was under attack. She calmed down when she remembered this was not only a dream but her dream. Still, when she turned to face the Pokémon fully and saw it was a Giratina, she stepped back so quickly that she fell on her bottom.

Giratina laughed at her, which only caused her to blush. "Happens every time. And yet, still funny." A female's voice. "Hello there, Alexandria Flamel. Known as Angel to those closest to you. I would not have appeared to you yet, but too slowly is your heart and mind heading in the right direction. You needed to understand now."

"U-Understand wh-what?"

"What Team Rocket is all about. You've already noticed that the Trainer there called out a strange creature. You may have even concluded that it was related to Shadow Pokémon. You are correct, but they are unlike the ones you hold within your pokéballs. These, like the Paradox and other Artificial Pokémon, were created. Unlike the others, these are inherently evil, designed with power, control, terror, and anarchy in mind."

Though she didn't speak it aloud, Angel thought it was cool that science could do that.

Giratina stomped a foot. "It is not!" There was a pause, and sorrow was in her voice when she next spoke. "This results from hundreds of Shadows being dissected and experimented upon. They may be an aberration but are like their normal counterparts in nearly every fashion. Team Rocket isn't the only one running tests on them. But they are the most apathetic to those they consider subservient."

Angel was silent as she did not want to believe any of what was being said. "They can't be all bad if they let them go after they get what they want."

The Giratina shook her head. "I assure you that if they did, it wasn't intentional. Giovanni wouldn't let potential strength like this slip through his fingers. His scientists aren't just testing to find the best genetics. They don't care about the result when testing for their weaknesses and endurance, so long as they get results."

"What?" Angel's eyes widened, horrified that anyone could go that far for science.

"We cannot let this future come to pass. You are not the first to see the Shadows as the Pokémon they are. But you are the first willing to fight for them. They need you."