23 (Epilogue)

The sun shone brightly through the windows of the white marble palace, the gold swirls glinting in the morning shine.

Lyari, now a man, was wearing a fancy blue uniform, and sitting on the throne in the marvelous throne room. A dozen Ladies, leaders of the kingdom's regions, were gathered in front of him. It was the official coronation ceremony; the regional Ladies were to gather and bow to the new Queen- or in this case, both King and Queen, depending on Lyari's mood.

Not everyone approved of a gender-fluid person becoming the new ruler. It was an established matriarchy, but Lyari promised not to make any drastic changes, or no changes at all, to the system. Upon further discussion with the Ladies, they came up with the rule that Lyari had to make all decisions involving the greater public while inhabiting the body of a woman, and Lyari agreed. The public was informed of the new Queen and the new changes, and they didn't really care, from what Eli had gathered.

Eli was sitting next to Ril on a big round table in the corner of the room, with all her friends and some other nobles. Blaed and Helios were already given a small patch of land from Lyari, land which used to belong to the Queen privately, and was in need of new owners. Lyari offered them high positions in the court, but they declined, preferring to work freely as mercenaries.

Princess Lillia was ecstatic, and completely mesmerized by Lyari. She probably had a crush on him, but Eli still thought Lyari was both too old and too dangerous and cruel for someone like Lillia, and made sure to discourage Lyari for acting on Lillia's feelings by making big threats. Lyari laughed her off and told her he wasn't interested in children.

"I can't believe Lyari is the ruler," Ril whispered. Eli nodded, remembering the history the two shared.

"I don't think anyone could've predicted this. I never took Lyari for the leader type."

Ril snickered. "Don't worry. He's just here to enjoy life and unlimited money and resources. He'll let the tacticians run the place. I'm sure he'll be spending more time fucking someone than making decisions."

Eli chuckled. "I suppose."

Ril smiled at her. "How's the eye? You look very bad-ass with that eyepatch."

"I'm getting used to it, but I often randomly panic when I can't open my left eye. It'll take some time."

Ril gave her an understanding nod, and took her hand in his. The action sent butterflies into her stomach, and she revelled in the warmth. He made her feel so loved, so safe, so free... She really loved him, and trusted him completely.

"You know, I'm still mad about that trick you pulled a couple of days ago," he said.

Eli raised her eyebrow. "What trick?"

"Telling me to run while you fought off a bunch of guards?"

"Ah, that," Eli said, wincing at the memory. "I don't regret it."

Ril nodded. "I know. It was the toughest decision of my life to leave you there, but I trusted you enough to survive. The Princess had to keep me from breaking in with Avilith as soon as I found the dragon. I almost ruined the plan."

Eli grinned. "But you didn't. You did very good, for an elf."

He smirked. "You know, my offer still stands. I can show you just how good I am."

"I'll take you up on that soon."

Their flirting was interrupted by applause, so they joined it, watching as a servant put a glimmering golden crown atop Lyari's red locks.

"Thank you all! Now that the formalities are done, there are drinks served in the dining hall, with more guests soon to come, so please, go and enjoy yourselves!"