Chapter Eight - Showdown

The dunes formed endless waves around them. Essence and her winglet were running, kicking up sand with each step. She wanted to stop, to fly, to see what she was running from, but all she could do was keep running. Darkness was spread around them like an inky blot, and the moons shone bright. Terror and adrenaline flooded through her veins.

Suddenly, Essence stumbled on an invisible rock. She let out a yelp as she crashed down to the ground. Her limbs felt like stone, even worse than her race with Swellow. She lifted her head and saw Scorpion sprinting back for her, even though the others had run ahead.

"S..top..." This is just a dream. This is just a dream-

Scorpion ignored her, or didn't hear. He shouldered Essence between his wings and started running awkwardly toward the others.

Why won't my legs work? Essence felt terrible. She lifted her head and saw a huge pack of Sandwings chasing after them. At their head was a large female. They were gaining, and Essence wasn't making the situation any better. She started struggling to get off.

Scorpion. Just drop me.

She heard puffing behind her and looked back again. The big Sandwing was right behind them now. She smiled with all her teeth. "Hello son. It's been too long"

Essence's whole body froze with horror. She watched the Sandwing, almost as if slow motion, raise her tail above her head and shoot it down towards her and Scorpion.

... and a silver golden ball of motion took the blow.

Search through the sand.

Essence shot up in her bed with a scream. SCORPION!

Essence looked over to a concerned Swellow, who already knew she had a vision. But Kraken looked terrifed and rushed over to Essence, who was now stumbling out of her bed.

"Essence what happened!?" Kraken asked frantically, jutting out her wing for support. Essence leaned on it gratefully until she could get on her own feet.

"I'm fine, I just had a nightmare." Essence hoped Kraken didn't notice the beads of sweat rolling down her forehead. She didn't feel comfortable with telling the terrible vision to her. But she could feel suspicion rolling off the SeaWing like ocean waves.

"Come on, let's go get some food before the race," Swellow said quickly, stealing away the few seconds of awkward silence. She walked out the door and Kraken followed reluctantly, looking back at Essence with one last look of "You fine?" She nodded and heaved herself up, following the two dragons. But after the disaster that was that vision, she had confidence that this was the day Team Jade would get their payback!

The three padded down the empty, barely lit hall silently. They chose a spot near a small stream that flowed near the wall of the prey center, where not a lot of dragons were sitting, surprising due to today being the big day.Kraken busied herself by fishing in a small pond, and Swellow settled with a gazelle beside her. Essence joined them with, of course, a goat.

While eating her food, her eyes wondered over to Frost's team, Team Obsidian, eating on the other side of the prey center .

On the outside, the team seemed rather average, but from what she knew, they were a obstacle in their path.

Frost was the striker and leader, and reading his thoughts just made Essence's blood boil.

Starseeker, the seer and mind reader from the Nightwing class, was also on Frost's team. Swellow then followed Essence's eyes and then snorted.

"Of course the two biggest pricks at the Jade Mountain are on the same team," Swellow commented dryly as Essence took a bite.

There was a HiveWing named Hornet. He was large and strong, but not as big as Scorpion and he was not very bright.