Chapter XX.VI: Cracks

The rumbling slowed in pace, and then a huge hairy human-looking leg poked out into the edge of my line of sight through the window. Then, another leg stepped forward, and the entire lower body of the thing came into view.

What I could see must have been at least ten feet high, which was only up to its stomach. I could make out its arms, which went all the way down to its knees. They were covered in hair as well. It looked like a large naked human, but it didn't have anything down there, just a blank spot like a doll.

It looked like it was holding something in the hand furthest from us, but I couldn't quite make out what it was. The thing was pacing back and forth, like it was looking for something. I saw Sarah cover her mouth in shock as screaming and shouting came from the direction of the thing. It sounded like there was a bunch of people screaming... at least six or seven. But then... where were they? I didn't see anybody.

The thing suddenly sprinted back to the apartment across from us, bringing its full form into view.

In all, it stood close to twenty feet. It looked almost human, but not quite. Its features were twisted; its arms were far too long, and its face... was too long as well.

It looked like a jovial old man, it was even smiling what it may have thought was a warm smile, and its cheeks were rosy. Its eyes were always half closed, giving it an expression that made it look like it was perpetually laughing. But... the thing's face was way too long, the mouth extended down far further than any human face could have. It was almost bordering on looking like a horse's facial structure. The thing's cheeks bulged out of its head.

I felt my skin crawl as the thing bent over... and dragged a screaming woman out of the window of the apartment it had stopped in front of.

"Not again!" I made out in the woman's screams, "Not when I just escaped!"

I heard other voices screaming, shouting and crying. The thing stared at the woman, and its smile widened, squishing its features together with the wrinkles that covered its face. Then, it turned so that it faced near our direction and I could make out what it held in its right hand.

It was a bowl, or I guess a sort of basket. A huge basket that was close to ten feet large, and judging by the texture and colour of the basket... it was made out of flesh. Out of the thing's flesh. It was actually attached to its waist by means of some strange fleshy cord and inside of that basket of flesh... were six people. Two women and four men. They all screamed and shouted, and I saw some of them trying to crawl out. But they couldn't. The giant thing's expression softened, and it placed the flailing and wailing woman gently into the basket.

Then, it brought up its finger to its mouth, as if to shush them all. They kept screaming.

The thing shrugged, then started to walk calmly on its way again.

The four of us glanced at each other, sheer terror and disgust visible on each of our faces, but our attention was snapped back to the scene outside when we heard the sound of something crumbling and a lion-like roar.

"Wh- what the?!" I head Jared shout.

On top of the apartment, behind the giant, was something else.

This newcomer was massive as well, probably around half the size of the giant. Its body shape was similar to a tiger or a lion, though in place of fur it had sharp scales that extended like spikes along its spine. It glared at the giant with its six yellow glowing cat-like eyes, that were lined up vertically instead of horizontally. I saw a blade like a scorpion's stinger at the end of its swaying tail. Again, it let out another roar as its powerful muscles throbbed and its claws clenched on the roof of the apartment, crushing the bricks under it to dust. Was this what had made the tracks we saw earlier?

The giant completely ignored it, and just started to walk away. With another roar, the reptile-feline leaped off the roof and pounced onto the back of the giant, its claws sinking into the giant's shoulders and sending blood spraying to mingle with the rain. The giant didn't even flinch, though the people in the basket screamed with renewed terror.

My jaw dropped.

Why was... one of the creatures attacking another one of the creatures...?