The first encounter (Chapter 2)

"Dad please! I'll be gone just for a weekend, I really want to be there" I said to my dad, I didn't expect it to be this difficult in getting his permission. I had recently taken interest in church activities and mixing up with the other teens had been fun so far. The teachers at church had announced that there would be a teens camp this weekend and teens from other churches would be attending, I really wanted to go, it would be an opportunity to experience something new and a great way to improve my relationship with God, it did need some work.

"Eniola, you have a performance coming up next week, you need to be at your best" dad responded, "yes dad I know, I promise to practice every chance I get at camp, just please let me go" I said, this time with eyes that I knew would melt his heart. He said no further words, I knew I had won this one and got excited as I anticipated what the weekend would bring.

Friday was finally here, I woke up as early as 5am to prepare and round up my packing, by 6:45 I was set to leave home, I looked at my box and dropped to my knees in prayer "Lord, meet with me, be with me and help me fulfill purpose" I was always so nervous about my reason for being on earth, I didn't want to live a life that had no meaning. I went upstairs and informed my dad that I was heading out, I told him I would take a public transport and he should not worry about dropping me off.

I got to church after about 30 minutes, there was a bus at church to convey us to camp. I loved every bit of the journey even though it was quite long. We were heading to Ibadan express way, it was along the outskirts of Ogun state. I thought of the experience in front of me and tried imagining different scenarios, each playing out in my head as I closed my eyes. I imagined what the other teens would be like, what my roommates would be like, what the prayer session would be like...

This was not my first camp out with other teens. In previous years, the teens in my own church had our yearly camp for teens and the most outstanding parts for me were the impartation service and the talent showcases. I had gotten the gift of speaking in tongues in one of those impartation services, at first I had felt I was saying meaningless words but the impartation minister encouraged us to believe and not feel we are saying meaningless words.

The journey from Lagos State to Ibadan was about 2hours when the road was free but right now, we had been on the road for more than 3hours due to the traffic, we were however very close to camp ground already. The camp ground we visited yearly was called RCCG, an acronym for The Redeemed Christian Church Of God, it was a well known church around the world and had a camp ground where members conveyed from all over the world. I loved coming to camp, it was a serene and peaceful environment, it usually felt as though the presence of God envelopes you wherever you were on the Holy ground.

We finally arrived and settled in our hostels, the coordinators had reshuffled us and ensured we were not in the same room as the other teens from our individual churches so we could bond with other teens from other churches. I did not like it totally but I was great at socialising, so I didn't mind.

I began looking forward to Sunday the last day of camp, the outline of activities had highlighted Sunday as impartation service so I was expectant, I was curious to know what God had in store for His people this time around. I thought I would just speak in tongues like other times when I was under the power of the Holy Spirit.

Sunday morning finally came, I was disappointed at first, no impartation minister had showed up, the coordinators mentioned something about the reason but I zoned out already, feeling like my expectations were shattering. One of our teen coordinators came out, directed the teens choir team to lead us in intense worship, then directed the rest of us to begin walking around those who had not yet been baptized with the Holy Spirit.

I joined those walking round and began to speak in tongues, that was the last thing I remember having control over as the spirit of God came mightily upon me, resting on me and stirring me up from my inside.

I no longer had control over my body, the Holy Spirit began moving through me, I saw my hands move on their own and rested on two female teenagers and they bursted out in tongues, I turned my head and saw another teenager praying intensely, I began to walk towards her as the Holy Spirit propelled me, I held her hands and joined her in intercession. I stood up and walked to the back of the room where our teachers and coordinators stood, I set eyes on one of our teachers, I hugged her and said to her "I am pleased with you, well done!" As the Holy Spirit gave utterance, I didn't have to think of the words, they flowed out so naturally.

Still under the mighty presence of God, I moved forward, I set my eyes on a little girl and I had divine knowledge of what to do, I laid my hands on her as propelled by the Holy Spirit and she fell to the ground under the power of God.
My body grew weak as I moved all this while, I felt like power was leaving me, a teacher helped me to a chair and I sat about five seconds before jumping back up, geared by the Holy Spirit. I laid eyes on another girl and I stretched out my hands towards her, she fell to the ground and showed signs of resistance, the Holy Spirit took me to my knees on the ground beside her and I whispered in her ears "you can do without him" she nodded her head frantically as though giving acknowledgment to the word she heard.

All the while, I thought to myself "Eniola, who are you that God should decide to use you as an impartation minister" . I felt so unworthy, I knew my life was not completely glorifying God at the time and yet He decided to use me. I was completely broken down by this experience.

Another minister soon came up and I fell to my knees, the presence of God was so mighty on me and I kept on speaking in tongues. I was calm after a while and proceeded to go back to my sit, still in utter shock and disbelief of what just happened.

I finally understood to a little extent what Mary, the mother of our Lord Jesus Christ meant when she asked the angel "how could this be?" after she had received the word of God from the angel in the book of Luke1:24.

That day, I purposed in my heart to begin to live right for God so that the next time He comes, He will meet a holy vessel fit for His use. My spirit man truly encountered the person of the Holy Spirit this day.