21: battle scars

TW: bombs, shooting, kidnapping

authors pov
It's been about a month since Jay left to go join the military. Everyone is starting to slowly accept the fact that they would loose one of their best friends, Erin Lindsay. She would be remembered as funny, sweet, strong and many more by her loved ones. Jay was slowly getting used to the whole army thing, regularly writing to his friends to reassure them that's he's ok.

Jay's pov
I've seen a lot over the past month, i've learnt a lot about myself and grown as a person overall. I was put in the 75th Ranger Regiment along with my new friend Greg Gerwitz but goes by 'Mouse'. Before I left I promised myself that I would change my perspective of life, to do everything and anything because you never know when it's your last day alive. I miss her, I miss her smile and laugh the most though, she was my safe place and now she's gone.

"Halstead gear up, we're about to be under heavy attack," my lieutenant instructed.
"Yes sir."
I put my bulletproof vest and my helmet on as i grabbed a shotgun preparing for the worst.
"Nice of you to join us Halstead," Mouse chuckles.

When we started to approach the other teams base there was instantly loud gun shots sounding like they were directed towards us. As a result of this, we all ducked down aiming our variety of guns towards the base.
"Get out, do what you were trained to do," our lieutenant whispered to us as we nodded.
Some of us were scared shitless, some of us weren't to worried about dying, me? I like the adrenaline rush I get throughout my body when I'm in a life or death situation.

We started moving towards the base, the shooting finally halted to a stop, which was suspicious. We all looked around to each other wondering why this was until it started back up again. It sounded like they had gotten closer to us during the quiet period. Suddenly out of no where mouse fell backwards clenching his shoulder as he gritted his teeth preventing him to scream in pain. Our attention was towards him now and I just wanted to make sure my best friend in this unit would make it out alive.
"Mouse you're ok, just a bullet nothing major," I tried to not make him freak out.
"I-I think it w-went through an a-artery..." he stammered as we both looked down at his shoulder that was gushing blood.
"You'll be ok, just hold on."
The sound of a stampede of people running away got my attention, something seemed off, why would they shoot mouse inly in the shoulder after being in such a close range from us, they could have easily killed him, and why stop there? They could have killed us all but instead they chose to ran away. I knew I liked the adrenaline rush but I didn't like this anymore, I wanted out. I couldn't bare to see my friends getting hurt, it reminded me too much of the pain I felt when I feared the loss of some of my favourite people.

I saw something role towards us, even more curiosity striking me.
"Run, it's a bomb!! My lieutenant yelled as everyone in my unit started running away but it was too late. My life flashed before my eyes as a bright light took over my vision. The explosion was humongous, I was pushed back from the force of the explosion knocking me unconscious.

That's all I remembered before waking up at some unfamiliar place with some of my unit, including the almost dead Mouse.
"He dead yet?" Someone snarky asked as I regained consciousness taking in my surroundings.
I saw everyone gathered around this one man, I tried to get up but I just fell back down.
I took one glance at the man on the floor and realised it was mouse. It felt like strength was granted to me as I got up and walked towards him.
"We should put him out of his misery." Another guy suggested most of them agreeing with him.
"What? No! Absolutely not, are you guys crazy?!" I defended him.
"Jay we've been kidnapped by the other team, he's hurting he's going to die sooner or later."
"W-what do you mean we've been kidnapped?"
"After the bomb when we were all unconscious they took us and put us here, they want to win, they'll do anything to win so they took us."
"And what about the others?"
"They're either dead or they were quick enough to flee."
"This can't be happening right now," I paced around the room in shock.
"So what they like own us now?"
They all nod.

Suddenly the door unlocked and an armed man came in as he gave us a bucket of food and drinks  to last us about a week.
"Hey man let us go."
"I'm not aloud to." He said in broken english.
"Yeah, we don't want any troubles." My teammate agreed with me.
Everyone's attention was turned the mouse as he started screaming at the top of his lungs clearly in pain.
"Man can you end his sufferings please, he deserves to not die a slow and painful death." Our lieutenant spoke up with Mouse's interests in heart.
"No...you can't he's just a kid, he has his whole life to live..." I fight back tears.
"Say goodbye Jay."
I knew there was no stopping it and I knew deep down inside this was the best choice for Mouse.
I sat down next to him and held his hand,
"It's been great knowing you Mouse, you've really been a great friend."
"I'll miss you... make sure you get out of here to go and make sure you're girl wakes up," He says between gritted teeth.
"I'll see you later Jay."
"Bye buddy."

And like that a single bullet through his head ended his life, I don't think that sight will ever leave me. I'll carry this moment until the day that I die. I had no intentions of living anymore I was just stuck in this windowless room with no source of entertainment stuck with people I don't even like that much. The only person I truly liked was murdered right in front of me. They had no intentions of letting us go, I felt hopeless.

i hit a major writers block lol. hope this chapter was ok
-nicole